Help with promoting a web site best

erkmatrix 14:35 29 Jul 03

Hi I have recently started my own Digital Camera business , selling only popular Digital Cameras, the I've submitted to the pay per click search engine overture, but don't seem to be getting any buyers just people clicking and costing me.
I just wanted to know where else I should try advertising on to get some buyers. The cameras are very reasonably priced and well below high street prices, so kinda of miffed why they arn't selling more. My budget until the business takes off is rather limited thats the problem, I would be grateful for any advice anyone could throw my way.

Please can someone advise.

Cheers Phil

Sir Radfordin 14:51 29 Jul 03

Haven't you asked this question before?

The first lesson is to always quote your web address in everything you do. Put it on emails, flyers, adverts etc.

Start now...its been suggested before! Post it here!

erkmatrix 15:03 29 Jul 03

Hi yeah sorry I did post before this question only I never read a reply as I had to go away to look after my ill brother and when I got back onto PCadvisor site I couldn't find the posting.

My web address is click here

I hopefully soon going to get more stock included Video cameras and Security Cameras and various photography software and computer related.

Cheers again,
Phil

zoomer 17:41 29 Jul 03

IMHO your site takes waaaaaaaay too long to load, and search engines dont like Flash sites, and it looks to me that your prices are not cheap, infact compared with click here they are super expensive
sorry but its my opinion

Forum Editor 17:52 29 Jul 03

to our webDesign forum - where I think you will get plenty of input (some of it from me).

Forum Editor 18:25 29 Jul 03

- at least in part. The site takes far too long to load, and many potential customers are going to give up. Even on my broadband connection the load time was excessive. In additon, many people will not have the Flash plugin on their computers, and they'll click away.

Flash has its place in web design, and used with discretion it can be very effective, but an all Flash site is simply the wrong tool for e-commerce purposes. Your site isn't particularly easy to navigate - Flash sites should always have a 'back' button on each page - and I found the use of graphics and colours overpowering and very distracting - the cameras should dominate, not the animations.

The text on the privacy, shipping, terms and copyright pages is far too large, and contains many spelling and grammatical errors.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but you asked for advice, and I would be doing you no favours if I simply said "Great site, can't understand why you aren't inundated with orders". If you were my client I would say this:

1. Ditch the Flash site entirely, and go for a straightforward, clean HTML site that loads quickly, is easy to navigate, and has no animation save perhaps a logo on the home page.

2. Lay the site out with high-quality images of the cameras themselves dominating - to a large extent people buy with their eyes.

3. Keep all your payment options on one page, and dispense with all the garish logos - people know what a credit card sign looks like. Stick to a simple 'buy' button from PayPal.

4. Do not use a Yahoo email address for the 'contact us' link - it absolutely shouts 'Amateur'! You have a domain - so use it. The contact button should load an email addressed to: [email protected]

5. If you truly wanted people to believe that your reviews had been posted by customers you shouldn't have put them all on the site on the same day. My own feeling is that this is an unecessary feature anyway, and provides you with one more thing to check each day, in case someone says something they shouldn't.

I hope you don't find all this too discouraging, but the e-commerce world is a hard place in which to trade, and it's in your best interests for me to be completely honest. If you are to make any headway I think you must act quickly and make some radical changes to the site - in fact I think you should start again from scratch - this time with no Flash at all.

Forum Editor 18:27 29 Jul 03

spelling I've made some typos myself. I do know how to spell - my excuse is that I'm busy, and I typed too quickly

erkmatrix 10:21 30 Jul 03

Well looks like I have alot of work to do. I had a friend design it for me and he said flash sites are the future. I agree the dowmload time for the first time you hit the site is along time and no doubt people can't be bothered, but thats something that I really can't change, so just have to hope people are more patient. About the prices, I certainly don't think they are too expensive, there are plenty of high stret shops charging alot more and it would be impossible to charge any less from where I get them from my wholesalers. A Nikon D100 for £1299.99 is reasonable I think, In the reviews its priced at click here £1898.80 inc VAT

So Ok I can't compete with my cheaper cameras prices but I've had a look round Amazon marketplace and my cameras are cheap compared to alot of the other marketplace camera shops.

The pages do have a high quality image at the bottom, where customers can see every detail of the camera.

I will go change my email address to info or support @cameravisionz.com , yeah agreed the yahoo I suppose doesn't offer much hope it being very professional.

I'll get rid of the review section then, I suppose not many customers would be bothered anyway writing their reviews.

I totally take on what you have said and yeah I wouln't of asked if I couldn't take critism. I'm just going to hope potential customers well at least some of them will be patient for the pages to load, cause starting for scratch isn't really a option, to much money has gone into this one, maybe down the line I could have a html version made but unfortunatly not just yet.

Oh and I'll run the text through a spell checker for those pages you mentioned.

And sorry for posting this on the consumers forum, I didn't know there was a web design forum now, I'll go check it out.

Thanks again
Phil

erkmatrix 10:28 30 Jul 03

Oh and any ideas of promoting websites the best places to list and get my name about.

I have heard that yahoo well only in australia at the moment(coming to the UK soon) have a ecommerce shopping site, where merchants set up there own shop and can sell from there using yahoo secure servers, like amazon marketplace and z-shops.

These places are a good idea cause you get the traffic , ok you pay them a cut of course but you get the people hiting your shop.

As I say I'm on the PPC search engines with overture and really wanna get some hits that don't always cost so much.

Phil

zoomer 18:10 30 Jul 03

IMHO (again) if you leave the site as it is I would be surprised if you sell much, I`m no professional but I`d guess your typical target (someone who wants to buy a digital camera online, especially one costing over a grand)would potentially be reasonably "web-savvy" , meaning there is a strong probability that they would check out the competition, and if they do IMHO...they will buy elsewhere, even if you were competitive on price I would still go elsewhere as the site looks a tad iffy, the graphics used for manufacturers logos look rough perhaps because they are all crammed together, the background is way too much, IMHO again you would be far better having a single colour background, if I were you I`d get Actinic catalogue or give oscommerce a bash, saying that I wouldnt even try if I didnt come close on price.I also as a consumer would want to use my credit card, I see Paypal but having went into it before via ebay etc I found it too much hassle (which may just mean I`m lazy)and might not be true now but I still rightly or wrongly dont get a professional image of a site that I cant buy stuff with my credit card from.......
Sorry to sound overly critical but it is my opinion

zoomer 18:26 30 Jul 03

maybe you should focus on the higher end cameras as you are as you say more competitive in that area, so much so I`m sure you would sell some IF you could get potential high end digicam buyers to your site AND they felt comfortable in purchasing from you/your site

wonder why you can sell substantially cheaper on the higher end stuff than well established vendors but are way undercut on the mass market models, simply better margins?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…