HELP! programs won't run

mad1234 10:07 07 Aug 06

a friend of mine has asked me to look at his laptop. he is complaining that when he has been using the laptop & shuts it down then shortly afterwards his wife turns it on nothing will run on it. I have tried looked at this & it seems to work one minute then not the next. you can't even shut it down properly.
after a cold shutdown & it does a scan disk it seems to work ok.
it is an Acer laptop running windows XP.
can anyone give me any ideas on what could be the problem?

mad1234 11:14 07 Aug 06

i have just ran dr watson & it came up with an error for ybrowser.exe
could this be the cause of their trouble.
any ideas how i can fix it?

nob14 11:20 07 Aug 06

run sfc /scannow

you may be asked for the windows disk.

or you could try a repair install that way your files will be ok.

rodriguez 11:24 07 Aug 06

ybrowser.exe is the Yahoo browser which is part of BT Yahoo broadband. If there is an error with this file, try reinstalling off your BT disc, if you have it. If you don't have BT Yahoo broadband, then it might be the Yahoo toolbar, so uninstall this and reinstall it.

mad1234 13:58 07 Aug 06

TRIED THAT sfc /scannow BUT IT DIDDN'T SEEM TO DO ANYTHING. I WILL GET HOLD OF THE BT BROADBAND DISKS & TRY RE-INSTALLING THEM.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY MORE IDEAS THEY WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED

nob14 06:40 08 Aug 06

look in add/remove and delete yahoo search bar.

see if that helps.

mad1234 08:02 08 Aug 06

i have remove all yahoo programs but it has not helped.
i am running out of ideas can anyone help?
could it be hardware?

mad1234 08:49 08 Aug 06

ok i have re checked dr watson & there are no errors showing up but i have noticed that when the laptop screws up & i have to do a cold shutdown, when i reboot it, it does a scan disk with the message "one of your disks needs to be re-checked for consistancy. windows will now check the disk"
could this mean there is a problem or is that a normal message you get with a scan disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…