Help! Problem installing Creative 4.1 sound card

jediknight007 18:22 24 Apr 03

Hi, I just received my Creative Labs SoundBlaster 4.1 OEM sound card from ebuyer and I seem to have some problems installing the drivers. I don't think that there is a problem with the sound card since my BIOS and Windows XP do seem to recognise it in the correct PCI slot. However, when I try installing the drivers, I get this message:

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware: Multimedia Audio Controller

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The data is invalid

I have tried installing Windows drivers and also the one from the CD which came with the sound card but I still get the same message? Does this mean that there is definitely nothing wrong with the sound card itself and I won't have to send the sound card back to Ebuyer? I hope not since Ebuyer do seem to have a really bad aftersales service and are almost unreachable. Any help would very much be appreciated. Thanks.

^wave^ 19:12 24 Apr 03

try deleting the old drivers first then let windows pick it up again

jediknight007 19:33 24 Apr 03

Well, I have something called Multimedia Audio Controller in Device Manager and it's got a yellow question mark next to it. I tried selecting Uninstall but nothing happens and it's still there. I have tried downloading a driver from the Creative site but it doesn't work. I just get the registration part and that's it. Any other help please?

jediknight007 20:52 24 Apr 03

jediknight007 22:04 24 Apr 03

Ok, sorry for wasting time but I managed to solve my problem.I had to edit something in my registry since the permission wasn't set to Allow and therefore, I couldn't install the drivers. However, after installing the stuff from the CDs and having some features installed, I'm not entirely sure that it is properly configured for my 4.1 Inspire speakers. How do I make sure that I have done everything possible to gain that proper surround sound?

And should I select quadraphonic speakers, surround sound speakers or 5.1 surround speakers in Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel? Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…