help on printer software

Infamous 17:14 14 Oct 03

Dear people,

I have a HP photosmart 7150. The printer works fine but i was wondering if there was any type of software that would ask for a password before printing. The reason being some of my uni mates that live with me like to use my pc but they are usin the printer too much. Im usin windows XP prof. I have a Admin log in i have set them too log in as a limited account. But they draining the printer. The cartridges are quite expensive to replace.

Any ideas would be great

Djohn 17:23 14 Oct 03

I'm not too sure on this, because I've not tried myself, but from "Administrator" control which will be yourself, you can place restrictions on what access other users have. Is there not a option to block use of printer? j.

Infamous 17:31 14 Oct 03

I had a look for privelage rights but i cant find any too control the printer settings. They can just have limited account. Cant seem to find restrictions for the printer. Just bought 2 new cartridges dont want them too be used quick.

pj123 17:49 14 Oct 03

Can understand your concern. Post us the numbers on your cartridges and let's see if we can find a cheaper source for you. Alternatively, you may have to disconnect the cable from your PC to Printer and keep it in your pocket.

Djohn 17:54 14 Oct 03

Unless someone can suggest a way of doing this by using a password, then why not place a small box near you PC and ask your friends to drop 5p or 10p in for each page they print. If they are your friends they will not object to this and it's only fair anyway.

If they do object or abuse this privilege, then remove the printer cable and only allow printing when you are present. It's very good of you to allow them to use the computer in the first place, the least they can do is help with the running cost. Regards. j.

Infamous 17:55 14 Oct 03

haha thanks but u see i can get discount on cartridges my self from my local stationers 50% off, but the main problem is i had a full cartridge for over 6 months used it a little. Came bk from holiday they were near empty. Me being a uni student its more of a struggle too afford them. Might have to disconnect the printer. but it gona drive me up the wall puttin it bk all the time to print.. i was just wondering if they had a software out for that.

Infamous 18:06 14 Oct 03

thanks for the ideas u see the main reason is that they use my pc is that it had adsl internet. I dont think the box thing would work because i know some people have done like large colour printing on it. So i would have like £2 for my next cartridge LOL. Im still searching for a password program or something...

Djohn 18:20 14 Oct 03

Well, I still think that you are being very generous in allowing your friends to use your PC, I also realise that it could cause a little friction if you stop them from using the printer, or ask for some help with the running cost. But no more so than putting a password on.

Don't forget that there is the depreciation of the printer to take into account as well. When it finally stops working and you have to buy a new one are they going to put their hands in their pockets and chip in. They must realise, being students themselves that money is not exactly overflowing from your pocket. Regards. j.

Infamous 18:24 14 Oct 03

yeh i would think. but u see if i had a password then they would think why i have put it on there. Because i dont mind the occasional page or 2. But u see they have got money problems more then me. because i was debating to ask the main person who used it for half the money for the cartridges but shes in a bit of trouble regarding money. so im in a situation thanks for your helpfull advice

Djohn 18:50 14 Oct 03

I'm sorry that I can't offer any better advice than this and hope someone can think of a different way. Maybe if your Friends saw the replies to your thread it will make them feel just a little guilty and be more careful when they print out pages, also use "Draft" settings as this will save on ink for all printing except presentation work. Good luck. j.

Infamous 18:58 14 Oct 03

thanks anyway.. well i best get bk too my uni work SQL how fun lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…