Help pls!! Factory seetings for dell laptop pls!!!

julius44 05:43 18 Feb 08

Hello all!! Whoever can resolve THIS problem in this forum for me will be a certified genius!!

Okay here we go, by the way ive also posted this previously 24 hours ago but under a diffrent heading.

My friend seems to have a virus on her dell inspirion laptop shes had it for about 4 years now we have tried using the windows advanced menu..i.e safe mode..etc, but to no avail. She cannot find the system restore cd, as she said NONE was given to her...she is prepared to LOSE everything on her laptop....so we want to restore her laptop to factory settings WITHOUT a cd.....as she has NONE....is this possible??? We are very desperate to resolve this problem pls help!!! By the way we dont want to ring dell cos we are aware they may charge for this.....i had a similar problem with my desktop about 15 months ago, and i was charged £60.

tullie 05:52 18 Feb 08

Bit drastic isent it,what ant virus is she using and why has she taken 4 years to do somethng about it?Exterordinary!
If you have a hidden partition,which there usually is with a restore cd,then you will need the disk,unless someone else has another way.

tullie 05:53 18 Feb 08

Oops,i think you must have meant shes had laptop 4 years,not virus?

lisa02 06:05 18 Feb 08

For a while it was the common thing not to send out cds with machines, 4yrs ago she probably didn't get one.

From the moment you turn it on try tapping f8 to get you in to factory restore.

sidecar sid 07:19 18 Feb 08

To access the factory restore option quickly press
ctrl + F11 at boot up when you see the Dell logo.

lotvic 14:49 18 Feb 08

yes, for Dell pc's factory restore option menu do as sidecar sid says

and visit the Dell support website click here which is completely free

lotvic 15:05 18 Feb 08

for reference, previous thread click here

lotvic 15:17 18 Feb 08

and other previous thread that gives details of the pc model and specs in Absolute Beginners click here

julius44 19:54 18 Feb 08

Hello i would just like to say a BIG AND WONDERFUL THANK U, to all the people that have given me help with my friends laptop that had a virus over the last 244-48 hours. I have now finally been able to restore to factory settings!!!(crtl+f11)..for quite a few times!!! Even though she realises shes lost everything shes not fussed at all, as she did not have much on it!!!

Everyone is this forum has been really helpful, and i think that the pc advisor forum is the best pc help forum on the planet!!! I shall now resolve this post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…