Help please - Windows will not load

Never again 15:55 02 Jul 03

my friend has an old p2 233with 128mb ram running windows ME, which was running ok until he started to install NTL broadband.

My friend (who I shall now call "the fiend")didn't folow the instructions and plugged his modem in first, which caused him all sorts of installation problems, as during the installation the pc kept feezing, and would not respond to CNRTL-ALT DEL, and would only switch off by turning off the power.

On restart it would run scandisk, partially load windows, but then freeze again. After doing this a couple of times it is now in a right state, as it will now not even complete a scandisk before freezing.

I have tried to safe mode it and run system restore but this is unsuccessful as well.

The last attempt resulted in a frozen scandisk and a general clicking from the busy light (or could be the hard drive).

Do you think that he has damaged the hard drive, and if so should running scandisk from a dos disk be an option - or what about a format as he has no important stuff on his pc.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bodi 16:06 02 Jul 03

to format the drive and start again. Otherwise you could be fiddling on forever.

Just my humble opinion,

Bodi

Never again 18:40 02 Jul 03

Thanks Bodi

Will I be able to format the drive from a dos disk as I can't boot into windows, even if the hard drive is knackered, and should I use the /s switch.

Also, I have none of my original drivers or setup disks apart from an old version of windows 98se, but I will the lack of drivers just affect the modem and graphics cards, which would probably work with generic drivers?

Never again 20:19 02 Jul 03

Last cry for advice anyone - my friend has just brought the pc to my home.

Do I format with /s from a dos disk or just format c from a dos disk.

woodchip 20:29 02 Jul 03

Just use the Win98 floppy disc start with it and just type format C: don't bother with /s then as I assume you now that the drive letter changes when you restart with disc and choose start with CD-Rom support, ie if it's was D:\ it will be E:\ and so on just type setup when you find the CD-Rom. It will as you say, load what drivers it can just to get you going, you will have to then download the correct ones after

Never again 20:34 02 Jul 03

Thanks Woodchip

I've just plugged it all in and windows mostly loaded but then I got a blue screen of death which displayed the usual windows error message, etc and file name:vmm(12)+00004c3c error:oe:028:co283c3c

Does this mean anything to you?

Am I right in assuming that some windows files are corrupted and therefore its probably best to format?

woodchip 20:46 02 Jul 03

You could try running SFC from the run box, with the Win98 CD in the comp it will find any corrupt files

Bodi 20:47 02 Jul 03

Why not just format the disk and reinstall Windows?

The easiest way to do this, I think, is to change the BIOS boot sequence to CD-ROM drive first - eg. on older boards CD/Floppy/Drive 0 or whatever.
(Don't forget to save your BIOS settings before re-booting)

Put your Windows installation CD into the CD-ROM and boot your machine.

Use the installation CD to format your drive, reboot, (not absolutely necessary but safer)leaving Windows CD in drive and follow the usual Set Up instructions.

After installation, reset your BIOS boot sequence to what it was.

Bodi

woodchip 20:48 02 Jul 03

Sorry I think that will not work with WinME, you can try but I do not think it's included in ME

Never again 20:49 02 Jul 03

Thanks Bodi and Woodchip I'll let you know how it goes.

woodchip 20:50 02 Jul 03

Don't think that will work ether as the computer is too old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5