Help please! Smartsweep/Internetsweep unable...

Piecan 12:42 09 Dec 03

I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing. I have Norton Systemworks 2003 and have already restored my computer to it's factory settings (it's the new Medion by the way) because Norton wouldn't register. This time I got it registered and everything seemed fine until I ticked the box to enable Smartsweep/internetsweep on startup. It comes up with a message "Smartsweep/Internetsweep unable to run on a multiprocessor machine". I am logged on my machine as adminsistrator with a password so can't be anything to do with that this time. Anyone come across this problem? I've searched the Symantec help and there is no mention this problem. Don't even know what the message means...anyone know please?

Big Elf 13:44 09 Dec 03

I can guess at the reason but don't know the solution other than to replace Norton with another product. It may be that you have a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading enabled which is confusing Norton into thinking that you have 2 processors instead of just the one that's fitted.

I could also be completely wrong.

Big Elf 13:46 09 Dec 03

Additionally perhaps you can turn HyperThreading off.

Piecan 14:02 09 Dec 03

Thanks Big Elf. The machine does have hyper threading..think I would rather replace Norton though than alter the speed (it is for the speed/memory isn't it?). The computer also has three partitions on the HD C, D & a recovery E one. Looks like I will have to do another recovery back to installation settings as I know how hard it is to get this large program off.

Big Elf 14:06 09 Dec 03

At the moment, from what I've read, HyperThreading doesn't do much for performance unless the software is optimised to use it.

Piecan 16:33 09 Dec 03

You were right Big Elf, it is the hyperthreading. I've just found a little "late breaking news" readme file under cleansweep that says it is not compatible. I think to turn hyperthreading off I would need to tinker with bios and reinstall windows, so think it will be simpler to forget Norton Systemworks for now till they bring out a compatible version. Thanks for your help.:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…