Help please: setting up wired XP and 2000 network

dmm27 12:33 03 Nov 07

Hi
I want to set up a wired network so I can access printer, files and DVD writer on my desktop from my laptop. Also want to be able to backup laptop via DVD writer.

Currently the desktop is running XP home edition, and has the BT voyager 205 router connected via the ethernet port. The router has an additional USB that I can plug my laptop into. However the laptop is running Win 2000, so I cant use the XP network wizard to set the laptop up.

Can someone suggest an idiots guide or link to guidance for me please?
thanks

mgmcc 14:13 03 Nov 07

If both computers are connected to a router, then they are already "networked".

Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. In any case, at least one folder should be set as shared in each computer to help to get them communicating. Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a trusted area.

As regards the DVD writer, set that as shared too, although I don't actually know if it is possible to burn CDs/DVDs with a remote PC over a network.

NETWORK PRINTER SETUP:

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac