Help Please with Partition management

Ballie 11:50 09 Nov 08

I just reinstalled win xp and after some installation problems all is now working.

I installed on to a Seagate 320GB drive my xp disc is not sp1 but after installation I then installed sp1 via a cd I have and sp2 and 3 via windows update.

At fist xp would only recognise my HDD as 131GB but in disc management it now shows it as 128GB NTFS healthy system and then next to that is a box saying 170GB unallocated.

How can I allocate this 170GB unallocated bit to the 128GB healthy system bit to give me a total drive size of 298GB? And does this 170GB need formatting? If so how can I do that.

Any help please

MAT ALAN 12:03 09 Nov 08

click here

this may help...

Kalb 12:05 09 Nov 08

Ballie
Use the Disk management facility within XP
Go to Control Panel....Administrative Tools... Computer Management.... Storage...Disk management
See this link for more info click here

Ballie 12:30 09 Nov 08

Guys the problem I have is that my 320GB seagate drive is shown as two sections under one Drive letter "C" on dics "0"

128GB of the drive is partitioned and has my winxp and all my date on it and the other 170GB is shown as unallocated. I don't want to create a separate partion with the 170GB I just want to add it to the 128GB part of the drive to create a total drive (ie with no partitions) of 298GB.

Can this be done?

Kalb 13:38 09 Nov 08

Ballie
To answer your last post I'm not sure it can without the use of additional software such as Partition Magic or EASEUS Partition Manager.
You can create another partition from the free space using Disk Management so that you have a Drive D which you can use.
But Windows cannot resize drives by itself...it can delete a partition & then create a new one that uses all unallocated continuous space BUT you lose all the data on the original drive !.

DieSse 13:58 09 Nov 08

There are 3 possibilities

1 - Create a new partition with Disk Manager (you say you don't want that - but it's a perfectly good way to set up a hard drive.)

2 - Use a partition manager to change you drive. I use Gparted which is a free pm, and comes with a Linux CD which will resize it for you without distrubing what's already there.

click here

Whenever you use a pm you should back up your whole drive first "just-in-case" - this applies to ALL software which modifies partitions.

2 - You could make yourself an XP CD with all service packs already incorporated (inc SP3 too) using Autostreamer.

click here

and setup your system again with it. That should enable you to use the full capacity of ypou drive straight off. And it's a useful thing to have for future issues. You need you XP CD and a downloaded copy of SP3.

Ballie 16:49 09 Nov 08

DieSse,

Thanks for your reply, I would like to use your option 2 but I have spent the last two hours trying to download the Gparted software but I can't seem to do so!

Can you help me get the file?

DieSse 17:07 09 Nov 08

There does appear to be an issue from the default links

Go to

click here

Click the word mirror in the orange header - choose Kent UK from the pop-up window - then click OK. Mine started the download then.

Save the iso file and burn it to a CD using an image burning program (Nero will burn iso images, and others - I use a free version of Ashampoo).

Then boot from the CD, which will boot up Linux, and run the gparted program

DieSse 17:08 09 Nov 08

PS the iso file is about 94MB.

Ballie 00:38 10 Nov 08

I have managed to download it now, I have all the files in the zip download (93.7mb) I have un-zipped them to a new folder on my desktop I have named gparted.

one of the folders is named "isolinux" its only 260kb do I simple burn this "isolinux" folder to a cd in nero as an iso file and then put the cd in my pc and set to boot from the cd? sorry but I have never done this sort of thing before.

beeuuem 01:51 10 Nov 08

I find that the eary way to do this is download and install click here (using the option for XP2). Then downloaf the Gpart iso file click here
Then all you need to do is left click on the iso file and it will burn it to the CD in the correct format as a bootable CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac