Help please - NTL STB and Netgear WGR614UK

Hi,

My dad has a NTL Set top box thingy for TV and Broadband sitting under his tv.
He had a ethernet (cat5) cable from the stb into his pc and it worked fine.
He has bought a wireless router (so that he would not have to have the cat5 cable across the room) a Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable/DSL Router.
But we cannot get it to work.

To get router up and running we have the cat5 from the STB plugged into the "Internet (WAN) ethernet port" on the router, and another CAT5 cable plugged into one of the four "LAN ethernet ports" on the router and the other end into the network card on the pc.

We powered off the PC, Router and the STB then powered them back up one at a time - waiting about 2 mins for the lights to remain on solidly on the STB before turning on the router - waiting for the power light to become green - and then powering up the PC. Then we opened a IE window (expecting to get the unregistered NTL pc message) and we get a failed to find page message. If we type in click here in IE we get the login to the router and then into the expected setup screen (so connection to router from PC looks ok?). Now we are stuck! what is the problem? how do we get the router to work?

Any help gratefully recieved
Thanks in advance
Steve

mgmcc 20:26 10 Apr 06

Having accessed the router's Setup pages, have you actually configured it for (a) Internet access and (b) Wireless Connectivity?

"Cable" uses a direct connection with addresses allocated by DHCP from the ISP, so there is really nothing to configure other than ensuring the correct connection type has been selected.

If you open a Command Prompt window in the PC, type IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter, you should see details of all adapters in the PC. This should let you see whether you have a correct IP address from the router - it should be an address in the 192.168.x.x range. Once you have the correct IP address, you should be online.

Not sure what you mean - what do I need to configure on the router for Internet access?

As we currently have everything wired with CAT5 cables we have not yet started to try and use the wireless capabilities

We are getting an IP address from the router we just get nothing when using IE to browse the internet.

mgmcc 00:04 12 Apr 06

<<< Not sure what you mean - what do I need to configure on the router for Internet access? >>>

I'm not familiar with the Netgear, but I set up a Linksys router yesterday. I just had to make sure it was set to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP". Another router I have just needs to be set to "Direct". Essentially, you are setting it up for a direct connection to an already existing network, i.e. you don't need to establish a connection with a specific protocol such as PPPoE.

If you are getting a proper IP address in the 192.168.x.x range, you should be online - a 169.254.x.x address means you have a problem!

markal 21:31 29 Oct 06

i'm also having trouble setting up this router to ntl. i'm getting a yellow triangle with a question mark by the screen.i followed the instruction with the cd ,but no luck with connectting. i need some detailed instructions on what i need to do.

mgmcc 12:37 30 Oct 06

<<< i'm getting a yellow triangle with a question mark by the screen. >>>

Which screen, because a router isn't *installed* in a computer either as hardware or as software?

markal 19:31 30 Oct 06

in the bottom righthand corner of my monitor , there is a icon of a single monitor to show wireless. with my broadband going straight to my desktop there are 2 monitors , one overlapping the other.

mgmcc 20:42 30 Oct 06

<<< in the bottom right hand corner of my monitor >>>

Ah, right, I'm with you. Because the Wireless Network Adapter has been unable to access the router and get its IP address by DHCP, Windows has defaulted to allocating a "169.254" address which gives the "Limited or No Connectivity" indication, will display the icon you see and won't let you access the network/internet.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Danoh 20:54 30 Oct 06

Perhaps what I've just posted click here helps?
Even though its for a Belkin router, similar functions will be available on your Netgear.

markal 20:55 30 Oct 06

i have done everything you have said. it asks for wpa password, i enter the password and it tries to connect but it does not connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…