Help Please!! NTL and linksys

BeeWee 20:14 20 Dec 05

I have connected my cable NTL and Linksys WRT54GC router, however I cannot connect to the internet. If I remove the router all works fine...what am I doing wrong. The message says that it is unable to detect an internet connection. Please help someone.

Beth

mgmcc 20:33 20 Dec 05

Did you power off the Cable Modem? It is important when switching from a direct connection with the PC to a connection with the router to leave the modem without power for a couple of minutes. When the modem reboots, it detects a different connection and allocates a new IP address.

BeeWee 20:37 20 Dec 05

I'll try that straight away and get back to you thanks!

Beth

BeeWee 20:58 20 Dec 05

No - that didn't work. I have the installation cd in the drive - it gets as far as point 6 and checks the router - then it tries to connect to the internet and fails - I don't know what to do next!

Beth

BeeWee 22:12 20 Dec 05

I've done it! I'm so pleased with myself - I unplugged everything, shut down, replugged and BINGO!!!

The laptop is also connected and please could someone now tell me how I can:

1. Move my music across from pc to laptop
2. Share other files and folders?

Thanks

Beth

mgmcc 22:36 20 Dec 05

You need to set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" in their Properties. Then, if you open "My Network places" and expand the folder tree, you should see the shared folders for each computer. Files are "dragged & dropped" or "copied & pasted" between computers in exactly the same way as between folders in a single PC.

However, if you have firewall software installed, this has to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

BeeWee 13:00 21 Dec 05

Thank you so much for your help so far mgmcc. I have followed your advice re: sharing files and get this message:

"the server service is not started"

I have no idea what this means!

I'm really enjoying being able to use my laptop wirelessly!! Thank you so much

Beth

mgmcc 15:22 21 Dec 05

Right click "My Computer" and select "Manage". In the window that opens, click the [+] beside Services and Applications to expand it and then click Services.

In the right pane, navigate down to the entry for "Server" and double click it to open its Properties box. Set the "Startup type" to Automatic and, if the service is currently Stopped, click the "Start" button, then click OK. Exit the Computer Management window.

BeeWee 19:11 21 Dec 05

Followed your instructions to the T - got this message:

"could not start the Server service on local computer
Error 2001 - the specified driver is invalid"

Any idea what that means?

Beth

mgmcc 20:52 21 Dec 05

Presumably after setting it to Automatic and rebooting, the service still doesn't start?

I could suggest you run the "System File Checker", but if any system files need to be replaced you might be prompted to insert the Windows CD. Unless you have an actual Microsoft XP CD (not a manufacturer's "recovery" CD), that isn't going to work. It would be used by going to "Start > Run", typing:

SFC /SCANNOW and clicking OK.

To be honest, I'm not sure what else to suggest because I don't know which "specified driver" file is invalid, otherwise it could be replaced. Presumably in the Properties of your Local Area Connection (or Wireless Network Connection), you have both "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed and they are both ticked?

BeeWee 21:24 21 Dec 05

Hello again - I just ran the system file checker using my windows xp cd and that was fine.
I have also checked in the properties of LAC and both are there and ticked.

Does it make any difference that the laptop has xp pro installed and this pc had xp home? Also Norton is installed on the laptop and AVG on this pc.

I really appreciate the time and trouble you are taking with me - I am truly pleased that I have (with your help) managed to get the lappy networked!! So if nothing can be resolved it's not the end of the world!!
Beth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…