help please, monitor situation

Peter C 22:43 08 Feb 05

my g/f asked earlier but i can be more detailed.

comp:
packard bell imedia
intel pentium4 2.5ghz
windows xp
512ram
geforce4 graphics card (64mb)

pretty much from boot up, whenever you do something, whether clicking the start button, scrolling through my programs, going to a site on the net, whatever, the computer freezes, the monitor goes onto standby, then a couple of seconds later comes back on. usually it works fine until the next time (every few MINS!!!) but sometimes it slows the computer to tediously slow and everything crashes eventually until the only way to sort it out is to hold the power button to switch off, then switch back on.

i can't think of anything i've installed recently which might crash anything. i don't really install much on the computer. i've just done a big clean out (just 22% HD space used), got a good computer and card and a 1mb net connection, but still it's running crap.

can anyone help? thanks! 8-)

VoG II 22:46 08 Feb 05

This is either the monitor or the graphics card. The easiest (only?) wat is by substitution. Obviously the easiest thing to try is a different monitor (yours).

Peter C 23:27 08 Feb 05

hmmmm..

it seems (at the moment) that the PCTV Card is the problem!

i uninstalled it completely, restarted, then cancelled the 'found new hardware' and it hasn't happened since (over half an hour now!)

thanks! 8-)

spuds 23:40 08 Feb 05

Monitor troubleshooting click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced