Help please with missing HD

goffer23 12:34 28 Mar 05

When booting up my 3rd hard drive is not being recognised.
I run XP Pro and run 2 HD data drives (from a previous PC) and a ZIP dive from a Promise Ultra PCI card. This worked fine for months until until it periodcally went 'missing' - usually as the result of a lock up which reqd a reboot.
After the upgrade to SP2 some 6 months ago, everything went back to normal, until another 'crash' brought back the occasional non appearance of the E drive.
It has now decided to disappear for several weeks, whilst not a disaster it is annoying as I use periodically to back up my digital pics.
Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Storik 12:45 28 Mar 05

Is the "disappearing drive" showing up in your BIOS?

Could try autodetect, I suppose, it might be of some help. - Had this problem with my son's DVD drive - pysically disconnected it, changed the flat ribbon cable, checked the power cable (OK) and got the BIOS to autodetect it. It did stop it's "invisible drive" antics.

Storik

mattyc_92 12:45 28 Mar 05

hmmm.... What type of drive is it??? Internal??? External (probably internal, so here comes the next question).... What connection??? IDE, SATA, UATA???

goffer23 13:01 28 Mar 05

mattyc_92
Drive is an internal Maxtor IDE (I think ex an old Dell). I should also have added that the other data drive (D)and Zip work ok. I have checked connections and ribbon cable appears ok

Storik 13:48 28 Mar 05

So what exactly is your setup? Two hard drives on Primary Master, and Primary Slave? Zip drive from PCI card and Hard Drive on Secondary Master? - or does the PCI card nullify your secondary IDE on your motherboard?

Storik

goffer23 14:08 28 Mar 05

Storik
Only the C drive on the primary, the CD drives run off the secondary. Because the other 2 HD's and Zip were added after purchase it was easier to add them via the Promise card which also came from my previous PC.
What I don't understand is why the inconsistent detection - when the E drive is detected it works ok and now it is not detecting at all.
Thanks

Storik 18:39 28 Mar 05

So really, the "disappearing drive" is last in the "chain". Why not put one of your hard drives as Primary Slave? Perhaps, the PCI card feels overloaded at times? - Just a suggestion - what do you think?

Storik

goffer23 23:35 28 Mar 05

Storik
Yes, that's a good thought. will give it a try.
Will be a couple of days 'cause its getting late!
Thanks for reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…