Help please look help needed

danny0001uk 12:36 18 Nov 03

i have a adsl usb modem and i wont to connect it to a computer which has a network card in it. the computer has no spare pci slots . and no usb ports

what can i do to get the information to the network card

so3003 12:38 18 Nov 03

If it doesn't have anything other than a USB port on it, then you're going to have to use a USB cable to transfer data.

If your computer has no spare USB ports, then either remove something that doesn't need to be plugged in all the time, or get a USB hub that provides more USB capacity.

As far as I know that's all you'll be able to do.

Jester2K II 12:42 18 Nov 03

Yeah we know you want help - you wouldn't be here otherwise, but next time please use a proper title like "ADSL USB Modem - No USB Ports"

Rtus 12:43 18 Nov 03

Its likely the motherboard hasnt got the Usb Header fitted..your best bet is to find out which motherboard you have. Either look for model number on the board between PCI slots or on one of the interface chips ( dont remove any heatsinks ) Or read the bios string and head for for a guide on using.. after obtaining that info you can usually find a usb header of the correct type at maplin electronics.

Mike ® 13:26 18 Nov 03

"Yeah we know you want help - you wouldn't be here otherwise, but next time please use a proper title like"

I'm in the process of setting up a help desk for our customers, you've got just the right attitude.

Would you like a job?

Jester2K II 13:33 18 Nov 03

plsndrs3 13:44 18 Nov 03

See those years of DSG training still come in handy then? ;o))

Quiller. 13:48 18 Nov 03

If you download aida 32 rom here. It will tell you which motherboard you have installed.

click here

It is more than likely that you have a usb header on the motherboard, usually 9 or 10 pin. As Rtus says you can buy usb blanking plates for these. They come in 2 or 4 port models and I pick them up from my local P.C. shop for £2 to £3 each.

You would need at least windows 98se and the windows disk to get the usb blanking plate up and running.

Quiller. 13:55 18 Nov 03

This is the jetway one that I used to use a lot in older A.T. systems.

click here

Smiler 13:58 18 Nov 03

Nothing wrong with Jester2K II's attitude it's a fact. We don't all trudge through every posting on this site, that would take most of our time. But we do look at the thread title and if it look's like we can help we open it. A nondescript title could lead to something the person opening it knows nothing about so has wasted time that could be put to better use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…