Help please - I've lost my broadband connection.

The Kestrel 19:07 31 Jan 05

I have just installed the latest AVG large update. At the end of the installation, an AVG warning came up saying that it had detected a trojan virus in a file. Perhaps in haste, I asked it to delete the file. This was carried out and then I had to restart the computer.

On loading up, two dialogue boxes opened the first said:

Error loading C:/Progra~1/NEWDOT~1/NEWDOT~2DLL Specified module could not be found.

The second said TCP/IP network not installed

When I tried to connect to the internet, I got the page unavailable message. I have tried reinstalling the connection to my Netgear Wireless/Router, but when I get to the stage where the connection should start, I still get the page unavailable message.

I am running a wireless network with my wife's PC, which I am using now and still connects without difficulty. My PC is connected to the modem/router with a hard wire connection. I am running XP Home edition.

Can anyone help me restore my connection? Will using a restore point help to recover the missing file?

VoG II 19:11 31 Jan 05

click here should fix it.

Never let anything delete NewDotNet - it has to be done manually click here

To get rid of the startup error, Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

On the startup tab, untick the NEWDOT entry.

The Kestrel 20:22 31 Jan 05

Thanks VoG™ your instructions worked perfectly and I have my internet connection back. There is just one small problem left. After going to Start, Run, typing in msconfig and removing the tick on Newdot, on restart a box come up saying that I must reset the start to run normally. This I did, but on resart the NEWDOT box appears again, though the internet connects OK. Have I dine something wrong with your final instructions?

VoG II 20:25 31 Jan 05

Go back into msconfig and untick NEWDOT. Restart and you will then see a message about selective startup (or similar). Tick the box "Do not show this message again" and all should be well.

The Kestrel 20:31 31 Jan 05

Very many thanks VoG™. All is working normally once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…