help please computer not booting up

meek 11:26 14 Jan 07

hi im not exactly sure what the problem is im installing a nvidia geforce 6800 extreme apg card but when i do this the computer wont boot up.no beeps nothing.there is power going to the card(the fan spins).iv just put in a new psu but its not this as my old card boots up fine.any help would be great

(iv just put in a new psu but its not this as my old card boots up fine) the old card will use less power so would work ok.. whats the rated amps on your new power supply usually on the side..kind regards akanic

meek 11:34 14 Jan 07

i think its 10.does this sound right

gudgulf 11:39 14 Jan 07

Have you plugged in the additional molex power connector the card requires?

Are you sure it is fully inserted in the agp slot?

What happens to the monitor when you switch on.......does it click on(green light) or click into standby mode?

If the card is fitted correctly and your monitor is going into standby mode it could be a dead card.If you have access to another pc that you can put the card in, it would be a good idea to try it in that.If it still wont boot then the card is faulty.

the 12v rail on the power supply is the most crucial ...most power supplies state max power ie max 500w but thats the maximum..rated about 350w..if you could tell me the make i could check it out to see if its appropriate.. kind regards akanic

brundle 11:40 14 Jan 07

Wattage - amps would apply to individual rails.
450w minimum ; click here

meek 11:45 14 Jan 07

+12v rail says 25a
the make is colorsit
the card does work on a different computer
i think the right connecter is in i should be using the connecter from the hard drive right????

seems fine for the power and yes a molex conector should be connected kind regards akanic

you might want to try a minimal install.. disconnect power to uneeded drives etc and try again

Totally-braindead 11:55 14 Jan 07

If you do not have a spare connector then yes you connect to the hard drive connector using a splitter.
You have 3 possabilities. The card is faulty. The card is not inserted properly - easily done as they need a good push into the socket. Or the power supply isn't up to it. If 450 watts is the minimum and yours is not at least that then that is most likely the problem.
What you need to find is the wattage. It will be marked somewhere on the case of the power supply usually 235 watts, 250, 300, 350 etc etc.

Totally-braindead 11:57 14 Jan 07

Heres their website you should be able to identify your power supply from that click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant