djsmi 12:27 17 May 05

Ran ccleaner for the first time using all the defaults - everything appeared OK untill a re-boot. I'm now unable to access any websites, My connection & IE seem to run OK but I get "page cannot be displayed" at everysite.

OS is xp, I have a broardband connection with tiscali & run Norton AV. (I do get a norton warning that talks about proxy server config)

Any help would be welcome.

jimv7 12:43 17 May 05

Never had a problem with it, but then I am not using norton, can you not use system restore to a point before you ran ccleaner.

gudgulf 13:35 17 May 05

What Firewall are you using.I've not had any problem with using ccleaner and removing everything it finds over the 18 months or so I've used it.But I have frequently had problems with not being able to access web pages(even though my internet connection was active) when using Norton Internet Security.The problem was invariably the Firewall and nothing but a full reinstall of Norton would allow me to view web pages again.I would check your Firewall settings to make sure IE or whatever web browser you use is set to allow web access or temporarily disable it and use the Windows built in firewall.

djsmi 16:57 17 May 05

jimv7 - thought of that but all restore points had gone!!

gudgulf - fire wall will either be norton or the windows one, I'll check as you suggest.

Sans le Sou 17:10 17 May 05

Is the "block traffic" setting set to allow traffic, I know this should be indicated by a no entry sign, but not everyone has the logo displayed.

djsmi 20:26 20 May 05

a result! ran the winsockfix utility and that fixed it.

gudgulf 23:11 20 May 05

Had you removed any spyware with,for example Adaware? ccleaner would not remove a system file like that, but there are a number of spyware programs that do overwrite the winsock.dll file and screw up your internet connection if removed by antimalware applications.

gudgulf 23:12 20 May 05

PS Glad you sorted it ;D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…