help please about blank??

jonostar 10:28 11 Sep 09

my friends laptop has i think been running without any virus protection.. when i try to connect to internet i just get an about blank page.. it is vista home .. i am using my mac .. should i get an avg free and run it on his laptop?? would this do the job? many thanks ....

jack 10:32 11 Sep 09

surely simply means no web site selected
If it is infact on line type into the explorer title box -Google- see if it connects

Stuartli 10:49 11 Sep 09

It could have been affected by a Trojan or similar nasty.

See:

click here

Not very wise to do without AV protection when Avast! or similar are both free and effective.

mooly 11:49 11 Sep 09

If you are sure there is no AV protection you might like to try this,
click here

ideal for a laptop and has no detectable impact on performance. It would be interesting to know if it found anything if you ran a full scan. I have been hugely impressed by it.

jonostar 12:20 11 Sep 09

have tried to change the home page.. still cant connect to internet
unknown error it says... how can i check if there is some av software on there
it is vista
is it same as xp

mooly 13:03 11 Sep 09

Goto control panel (select classic view at the left) and click "security centre" Expand all the malware protection tabs etc to see whats running.
Should at the least have Windows Defender real time scanning.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 11 Sep 09

Vista will have windows defender and the Firewall switched on by default, there is no Antivirus currently built into windows so she needs to download and run one.

1st it may be an idea to down load a portable Antivirus to a memory stick click here and run that on her machine.

Stuartli 13:12 11 Sep 09

To change the home page to what you require, you have to have it on screen.

Then, from Tools>Options>General tab>click on Current Page button (the home page required should now be listed)>Apply>OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…