help please ...

woofwoofbark 19:19 21 Nov 04

Ive just had a call from a friend telling me about his comp ... well...

He handed in his comp to a shop to be repaired , he had a new motherboard battery installed aswell as a new harddrive plus windows xp home ... he got it home and all was well , added his bt yahoo cdrom ect ... got connected to the net then a box appeared telling him to save his work as he has 1 minute before the comp restarts , the comp restarted but windows doesnt open , he says everything is fine the winXP home apears with the sliding bar as it loads then the screen goes blank and stays that way , the arrow from the mouse is on the screen but nothing happens just a blank screen , hes tried restarting but its just ends up the same way (i told him id ask you guys before he hands it into the shop again incase you knew anything that could be done !)

cheers

geo

VoG II 19:22 21 Nov 04

I'm not sure what can be done but it sounds very much like he's got a virus such as the Blaster worm.

JIM 19:26 21 Nov 04

Blaster worm tool.

click here

woofwoofbark 19:27 21 Nov 04

he got a clean new hd (old one blew on him)with the shop installing winXP home on it ... he never downloaded anything ? the shop said it was working fine after they repaired it and picked it up and ran installed as i said above

weird

geo

stalion 19:28 21 Nov 04

possibly picked up a virus has he got a firewall and anti-virus software installed.Are you getting any error message?

JIM 19:29 21 Nov 04

Would be better if you downloaded the tool and all other normal fixes then install to your friends computer.

woofwoofbark 19:29 21 Nov 04

no he said after the window loader disapears the screen just stays blank , nothing else

mattyc_92 19:31 21 Nov 04

He/she needs to do a Windows Update to correct this. There is a problem with Windows that does do this. But if SP2 is installed this problem should be resolved

woofwoofbark 19:31 21 Nov 04

how could i load it onto his comp if windows wont open

geo

stalion 19:33 21 Nov 04

have you got the xp cd if so you will have to try a repair

JIM 19:33 21 Nov 04

on bootup.

also,info for virus attention and poss others.

click here;en-us;826955

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…