HELP PLEASE

aruns 19:44 18 Oct 04

In the process of transferring files, I inadvertantly did a USB-USB connection between my laptop to my desktop PC. There was some buzzing noise and now my laptop won't boot up. I am in a panic and seriously worried.

I shall be most grateful for any expert advice please. Will my data be safe? I still have warranty/accidental cover from the company, but don't want to lose my files.

THANKS in advance for any thoughts/advice/help.

-arun

Diodorus Siculus 21:41 18 Oct 04

What sort of USB cable did you use? If a standard A to A cable then you may have damaged something.

It might be good to take out the hdd and connect it to a desktop machine with a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 convertor and get your data off it if you can.

Then return to the manufacturer / warranty provider and see what they say.

g0slp 22:57 18 Oct 04

if the maker/warranty provider sees that the case has been opened, your warranty's possibly void.

You might be better off simply saying that the machine's just packed up.

You can ask them to try & recover your data if possible, or you could offer to pay for the HDD (if found faulty) if your data's that important. I had a HDD die on me once (turned out that boot sector was dead, but I was able to recover data by putting HDD into another machine as a slave), but that can be expensive & there's no guarantee of success.

Remember that repairs to computers, even within warranty, do not usually include data recovery.

Good luck, & let us know how you get on.

THE TERMINATOR 23:23 18 Oct 04

Have you gone into BIOS and checked the settings for your HDD? Or have you tried repairing XP from the XP disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…