HELP PLEASE !

Massi 21:33 20 Jan 04

I need to scan some 150 printed pages to then use them in Excel in order to add check boxes, add calculations etc. Any software??

Big Elf 22:46 20 Jan 04

What make and model of scanner do you have and what software is supplied with it?

woodchip 22:56 20 Jan 04

You cannot EDIT scanned pages unless you first run them through a OCR program

Massi 07:56 21 Jan 04

I still need to buy a scanner! Is there any particular model I should go for?

What is OCR?

Thanks.

Stuartli 08:21 21 Jan 04

Optical Character Recognition software for use with documents which, once scanned, you can edit in a word processor.

The January 2004 edition of PC Advisor's cover disk had a full copy of ABBYY Finereader Pro 5.0, but I also downloaded (or at least my son did for me on broadband!) the large full update for the program from ABBYY's website.

It's an excellent program and generally scans in documents as they appear, including font styles.

You didn't actually state in your thread that you "still needed to buy a scanner", but they are cheap enough these days - the Canon models are very good but a little dearer than some alternatives.

If you intend to use the scanner on a regular basis then it's worth paying the extra, but you can get a basic model for around £30-£35.

recap 08:47 21 Jan 04

Epson scanners are a good buy, the software they supply is very user friendly.

stlucia 08:50 21 Jan 04

Going back to the beginning ... if this is a one-off task I wouldn't bother trying to computerise it. You might as well just transcribe the data from the pages into Excel manually.

If you do scan the pages electronically, and then get some OCR software to convert them into editable data, you'll still need to check every bit of data for errors because OCRs are not 100% accurate (depends mainly on the quality of the original page).

If this is going to be a repeat exercise, can you talk to whoever originates the pages and get them to give you electronic copies as well as or instead of the paper ones? Then, if they're not already in Excel, getting them into Excel will be relatively straightforward.

Massi 17:39 21 Jan 04

THANKS EVERYONE - I WILL TRY AN OCR SOFTWARE SINCE THE ORIGINATOR OF THIS MANUAL CAN NOT SUPPLY ME WITH AN ELECTRONIC VERSION! :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…