help please

onmehed 18:25 17 Nov 03

A few weeks ok had a fatal error on xp, since then some progs wont run at all, have tried a new hdd, virus killer etc but nothing has helped, could it be my motherboards gone to pot, anyone got any solutuions im a bit new to this.

thanks

Diodorus Siculus 18:38 17 Nov 03

Have you tried a reinstall of XP? Or the programs that won't run?

Can you give more details about what your hardware / programs that don't work.

oldal 18:39 17 Nov 03

If XP and some programs are running OK , your MOBO is almost certainly OK. What errors are you getting when running the failing programs ?

Diodorus Siculus 18:42 17 Nov 03

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

yes have reinstalled xp and all the programs, have even tired brand new hdd, still the same faults occur.

Forum Editor 19:19 17 Nov 03

was that problems in the registry were preventing the programs from running, but if you have reinstalled them and they still don't launch..............

Can you tell us exactly what the circumstances were when you had the original fatal error - had you just installed a new device, or some new software? Almost all blue screens in Windows XP are driver-related (before anyone picks me up on this, I did say 'almost all' - I know there are other causes), and you can often pinpoint exactly what action precipitates a blue screen - a print command for instance.

See if you can remember what caused yours.

I assume you've tried to use a system restore point to roll the machine back to before the crash?

onmehed 20:18 17 Nov 03

i havnt tried a system restore, dont know how too,
at the time of the blue screen error i was burning mp'3s then i got this blue screen error, some message like "dll extension corrupted", cant remember exact message, all the links on the desktop went blank as if they were new files and i couldnt get any progs to start, re formatted pc, then found that some progs wont work, sone will temporarily work and others only work up to a point. Its confusing the hell out of me.

hugh-265156 20:43 17 Nov 03

to access system restore to a date all was well(and it probally wont do any good as you say you have reinstalled windows and are still getting problems...yes?)

click

start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

select "restore my computer to an earlier time"

choose a date and click ok.

you might want to try clicking

start/run and typing "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

you may be asked to insert the windows disk if you have it,if windows came preinstalled you wont be asked.

this will check and replace any damaged or missing system files.

most crashes are due to out of date drivers so update all your motherboard/chipset and graphics card drivers also.

update windows too click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…