HELP WITH PIONEER 111D DVD

BRFCIDB 21:01 29 Oct 06

Just bought one and I need some advise on the "master and slave". Never fiited one before!

Also I have a faulty DVD ROM and an incompatable DVD writer, ie it does not work with Nero, it's an NEC 2100 writer.

The NEC writer I want to retain as a play only machine and replace the DVD ROM with the Pioneer.

Do I need to take out the NEC and swap it for the DVD ROM, and then install the Pioneer, or can I just leave the NEC where it is and just swap the ROM for the Pioneer.

See I told you I don't know much!!

Cheers

Ian

Totally-braindead 21:07 29 Oct 06

Some DVD writers cause a real problem if installed as anything but master. My Liteon came with a warning that you could fit it as slave but it may cause problems. Because of this I would fit the DVD writer as master.

BRFCIDB 19:30 30 Oct 06

Many thanks I will, but can I then just remove the DVD ROM and relace it with the writer I am taking out so I can use it as a player only?

Thanks

BRFCIDB 19:33 30 Oct 06

When fitting a repalcement DVD writer, dose "master" mean that the wiring goes to this first(normally the writer) then a cable goes from that to the other DVD ROM and therfore it's called the slave?

Thanks

Totally-braindead 19:38 30 Oct 06

If you look at the back of the unit you are replacing you will see if its set as master or slave.
The IDE cable - one end to motherboard, other end to master the middle connection is for the slave.
If the drive you're changing is the slave just change the one you're keeping from master to slave and install the new drive as master or use both IDE channels if you know what I mean.
Sorry I'm not explaining things to well just now, will have to make a cuppa and see if that helps.

phono 20:15 30 Oct 06

Look at the back of the new drive, to the left of the large IDE connector will be a small jumper, there are three options to choose from, CS (Cable Select), SL (Slave) and MA (master).

If it isn't already set as master move the small jumper over to the MA (Master) setting, if you wish to retain the old drive move the jumper on it to SL (Slave) and then plug in the IDE cable as Totally-braindead has suggested, connect the power connectors, ensure the drives are properly secured and switch your PC on.

If all is well you should see the drives detected at the POST screen and all should be well.

If the original drive is not compatible or has a fault the PC may not boot or the DVD drives may not work properly, in that case remove the old drive completely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5