Help - photo image problems

bagel47 16:48 20 Apr 03

My OS is Windows XP, my mailer is Outlook Express and I use Photoshop 6. I have a problem with the size of the image when opening in Photoshop and also when emailing. The problem is that the image is enormous and on Photoshop has to be scaled down to A4 size. This also happens when emailing an image. This does not occur when opening in my documents file. Any helpful ideas much appreciated.

anchor 16:58 20 Apr 03

I am not familiar with Photoshop, but I am sure that you can reduce the image size with this programme; most photo programmes have this facility. You select the output size you wish.

Irfanview is free, and does this easily

click here

hssutton 18:56 20 Apr 03

In PS. just go to "Image" "Image Size" you then have the option to resize Pixel size and/or document size.

Patr100 20:49 20 Apr 03

Either 800 by 600 or 640 by 480 pixels will be OK for emailing (saved as Jpeg) but remember to keep the original larger image if you want to print it out. An image that is sufficiently high resolution to be printed well will be larger than the screen unless you are using view to fit screen option it is then strunk to fit the screen or desk top size. That doesn't change the size of the actual image just how you view it on screen.

Pesala 21:11 20 Apr 03

I am not an expert, but I have heard most of the popular theories about image formats, and so I did a few tests for myself. Graphic formats that use lossless compression are best, as no information is lost from the original image.

However, if you wish to send files by email, or post them on websites, compressed formats are better. GIF and PNG formats do not compress so well, as they use lossless compression. How much compression you get depends a great deal on the original data.

JPG images use lossy compression, so some data is lost, but file size is greatly reduced. One can increase the compression by reducing the quality of JPG images. Photos usually compress very well, but scanned text looks blurred at high compression ratios.

For my test image I used a detail from a Vermeer ? The Guitar Player from click here

Using Irfan View I cropped it to exactly 640 x 480 pixels. I saved this image in different formats and copied them to my website. By clicking on the links below, you can view them one by one. To compare the results, save them to your hard disk by right-clicking the link and choose "Save target as..."

GuitarPlayer.gif (215 Kb) click here

GuitarPlayer.png (191 Kb) click here

GuitarPlayer75.jpg (53 Kb) click here t

GuitarPlayer50.jpg (32 Kb) click here

GuitarPlayer30.jpg (21 Kb) click here

GuitarPlayer20.jpg (15 Kb) click here

kimjhon 23:37 20 Apr 03

bagel47
I take it that when you write 'size' you mean the dimensions in pixels rather than the file size.

If that is the case then your 'documents file' is either reducing the dimensions of the image or changing the resolution of your screen.

Have a look at the properties of the image in Photoshop. This will tell you how big the image should appear on your screen in relation to the screen resolution.

kimjhon 23:48 20 Apr 03

bagel47

I imagine that your 'documents file' is displaying images as thumbnails.

Reduce the dimensions of the image using Photoshop as anchor suggests.

Reduce the file size - as Pesala suggests - by opening the image in Photosgop and hitting 'Save As'.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:48 21 Apr 03

click here and d/l the freebie 'photoresizer' and all your problems will vanish. Foolproof to use.

G

Mango Grummit 03:51 21 Apr 03

Good shot sir, thanks for link, 'tis indeed an excellent little prog.

hssutton 11:44 21 Apr 03

All though the downloads mentioned are good at what they do, you already have the finest imaging software on the market (well second finest) as PS 7 is better. Photoshop will do everything you want and a great deal more.

Just click on help, then type "resizing" in the search box, now select "changing image size and resolution" and follow the simple instuctions.

Bagsey 12:57 21 Apr 03

As you are using XP why not use the send to menu, this will send a reduced size photo to your email client.
Right click on the photo you wish to send, Click on Mail Recipient , Click Make all my Photo smaller the OK.
This with send the photo to your email and reduce the file siz considerably.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…