Help PC gone crazy

dessi 11:43 03 Dec 03

Hi, could someone point my friend in the right direction concerning the above.Operating system is windows ME 40GB hard drive "tiny pc nearly 3years old. Yeterday after boot up the system was displaying different things irratically also the mouse/cursor has disappeared, is it a virus that has caused this,running Sygate personal firewall and Mc Afee antivirus, how to go about repair or reload have CD disk for system, any advice, reply would be helpful thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 11:52 03 Dec 03

Using the restore disk will lose all data - does your friend know this?

Are the symptoms still there? What about starting in safe mode (by pressing F8 at startup)? If restarting ok in SafeMode, then clear temp internet files, do a defrag, scandisk etc. Remove any recently installed software which may be the cause of the problem.

rawprawn 11:53 03 Dec 03

Put the cd in the drive, let it auto run & exit, now go to start/run and type sfc /scannow this will scan for altered or missing files & should hopefully solve your problem ( if it asks for the cd at any time press OK )This works for XP, I think it's the same for ME unless somebody knows better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…