HELP! PC freeze after AOL (maybe)

estebanrey 10:11 01 Nov 06

Hi guys,

A was asked to look at a friend's PC because he complained that it was freezing since he installed AOL wireless. I ran virus scans, spyware/malware scans and a registry fixer but the problem still remained - every now and then and with no real action that caused it, the PC would totally lock up and only resetting it would get it to work again (for a while).

I took the machine away, formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP. I tested it on my wireless network at home and had the machine working all day with no problems. However, when I took it back to my friend and reinstalled AOL, the problem came back within 24 hrs.

I have spoken to someone who had a similar problem (NTL) and they reckon it's probably the AOL software causing the freezing. Do you guys think this could be it or something else? If you require any more information please let me know as I am desperate to fix this....

rdave13 14:23 01 Nov 06

The only reason I can think of is that the router has been set-up using the primary master screen name. This will cause freezing on the PC with the card or usb dongle. I know 'cause I made that mistake initially. Create a new screen name with 18+ and master status and use that to set up the router again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant