Help with PC clear out and tune up please.

Never again 19:26 12 May 07

My friend brought his pc to me yesterday as it wouldn't work for more than 20 minutes before just dropping dead.

I suspected that heat was doing this and discovered that the fan on the power supply was broken and replacing the power supply cured the problem, however he now wants me to give his pc a general tune up "service and MOT".

He has a P4 3ghz 512ram 80gb hdd running windows xp home.

He had norton internet security installed, which should have protected him, but I have removed this as it is due for subscription and installed AVG free, which has just found 5 virus's.

I am curently installing and running a-squared, superantispyware free, spybot s&d, and ccleaner, which are all finding problems and dealing with them.

I have not yet connected the pc to the internet as I wanted to have a bit of a clear out just in case the pc was at risk futher whilst connected, but intend to shortly, update the above programs and run them again.

Does anyone have any further suggestions on useful utilities, etc which will help protect and make his pc run a bit faster, apart from the obvious ram upgrade.

There is also something running in the system tray which I haven't seen before - his sons name Matt is displayed to the right of the clock as {MaTT}. Is this another form of spyware/ virus problem?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

woodchip 21:10 12 May 07

Only suggestion that I think other than what you have done. Is put Avast Free on instead of AVG. Also do a Disc Scan and Defrag. It may also be a good idea to run SFC /SCANNOW with XP in the Drive

mocha 21:11 12 May 07

If your running XP turn off system restore then run all your new virus/spyware checks. After you have run them turn back on system restore. Find this in 'Start', 'All programs', 'Accessories', 'System tools', 'System Restore'.

rdave13 21:20 12 May 07

As well as the great advice above I would also run Cleanup. click here .

birdface 21:27 12 May 07

click here You can try this Optimizer,It only deletes 10 things at a time but you can run it as many times as you want,It also has a Defrag on it that you can use,Also cleans the Registry.

Never again 21:31 12 May 07

I've no experience of Avast Free - is it far superior to AVG?

I run AVG on my own laptop and pc and don't appear to have any problems?

I'll do all the other stuff first and report back in due course.

Thanks again.

jarani 21:40 12 May 07

I would stick with AVG in preference to Avast - jarani

woodchip 21:42 12 May 07

AVAST.I use it on a XP Desktop and Laptop. What I have read is that it is better. Also what I have seen on hear click here

woodchip 21:52 12 May 07

Avast does not use the resources that AVG does

bluto1 22:08 12 May 07

Don`t forget a firewall.
click here is good
Comodo is good, sorry no url

rdave13 22:20 12 May 07

With woodchip here, Avast! free is an excellent AV and I've used it for a few years. Had problems with AVG a long time ago with email scanning so changed and never looked back.
Comodo is an excellent firewall, click here , with forum support if required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…