Help!! PC is annoying Me!!!

freddy-firecracker 12:20 16 Oct 04

Got a cybermaxx pc p4 from toys r us, had sp2 pack since it first came out. pc would not switch on yesterday just made a constant beep. managed to get it started last night but it would stick at the pentium 4 logo screen for absolutely ages b4 going to black screen then when i finally got on to my desktop, explorer says it had an error to report. Dreaded blue screen appeared after that. Called Medion/cybermaxx support number but they just asked me about new software/hardware etc, suggesting that i copy all my files to the Backup Drive and insert the factory restore disk. I will do this as a last resort but i would like any advice re this. The pc DOES boot up but it takes ages

Any help would be extremely good.

p.s have run virus scan, defrag, spybot a diskcleanup within last week with no problems

Ta

FF

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:07 16 Oct 04

What is the error message on the blue screen if any?

Sounds at the moment like a defective driver.
Will it bbot to safe mode?

Delete all drivers reboot let XP find new hardware and reinstall the correct drivers.

Stuartli 13:16 16 Oct 04

Might also be an incorrectly seated CPU or RAM.

woodchip 13:32 16 Oct 04

Your best bet is follow what Medion have told you.
I would suggest you also make a Backup of both the Backup Partition and the Restore Partition. to DVD if you have a DVDRW

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:04 16 Oct 04

it could well be your PSU,i had a really slow boot-up it would hang for ages,this was on my custom built it had 1 300watt now it has a 450watt and it runs fine,you could try backing up files and then re-installing using restore disk.but ill go with my first theory BAD PSU!BAD!

woodchip 15:21 16 Oct 04

If it just keeps beeping it may be bad memory

freddy-firecracker 15:44 16 Oct 04

The screen said something up about physical memory but when it restarted it mentioned something bout a driver error, which one i don't know though...

I tried doing a backup but an error came up saying that i could'nt complete it. I am in process of trying to do waht medion say and pray that it works.

Good thing it is still under warranty............

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 16 Oct 04

Boot to safe mode start-settings -control panel-hardware-device manager, Delete all drivers reboot let XP find new hardware and reinstall the correct drivers.

freddy-firecracker 19:17 16 Oct 04

Another blue screen came up - Memory Management- Takes about 4 minutes till the welcome screen appears. How do i reset to factory settings. Should i just put the CD in b4 i switch on or should i be in safe mode??

rdave13 19:43 16 Oct 04

Take it back and ask for refund.

wee eddie 21:00 16 Oct 04

Anything you do will depend on this.

If it is within the Guarantee or Warranty period.

Then get yourself a back-up of your files - any way you can.

Then do what Guarantor/Warrantor says.

If it is not in that period, tell us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…