Help with opening files.

mahalo 23:33 24 Mar 08

I bought anew computer, it has OS Vista, before i finished with my old computer I put all my documents and photos on an external drive (Seagate), now when I try to open my documents Works or Woerd wont open them, I have noticed that they now have a file extension .ink, how has this happened and how can I get round this ?
Please, your help willbe greatly appreciated.
cheers

mrwoowoo 01:17 25 Mar 08

Have you tried right clicking on one >properties,then where it says change,browse to open it with word.

VoG II 08:54 25 Mar 08

I think that you'll find that the file extension is .LNK which is a shortcut. Are you sure you backed-up the files themselves and not just shortcuts to them.

mahalo 20:43 25 Mar 08

VoG, I just copied then pasted them onto the external drive, should I have done it another way ?
cheers

VoG II 20:46 25 Mar 08

I think that you may have selected Paste Shortcut instead of Paste.

mahalo 20:49 25 Mar 08

Vog, I understand what you are saying but I also used the same method with my photos and I can view them.I must have done something different for the document files.
Thanks for your reply.

mahalo 20:56 25 Mar 08

Vog, I have checked and the file types are "shortcut". I shall have to try and get them off my old computer again. Could you advise me of the best way to do itplease.
Cheers.

VoG II 21:13 25 Mar 08

I think that the Copy and Paste method is fine - just be sure to select Paste and not Paste Link.

mrwoowoo 22:29 25 Mar 08

In control panel>default programmes you can change the programmes associated with file extensions. Just find the .ink file and select word or whichever programme you wish to open it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now