help opening file

nobbie 18:27 10 Aug 04

hi, all, i have a file on cd which i need to open but cannot find a program to open it with, all i get is "windows cannot open this file, windows needs to know what program created it"
the file extension just seems to be "file" anyone have any ideas on how to open it please, thanks

Valvegrid 19:11 10 Aug 04

Have you tried highlighting the file then right mouse click on it and have a look in properties, it may give you a bit more information.

Also, what operating system are you using?

nobbie 14:38 11 Aug 04

tried the right click >properties but it only shows the extension as "file"

Gemma 16:31 11 Aug 04

Copy the file to somewhere convenient on your hard drive. Rename it from whatever.file to whatever.txt then open it with Notepad. If it's plain text inside, then you're OK. If it's gobbledygook you might still find a text "clue" to its format by eyeballing the content. If it is a mixture of plain text and gobbledygook it is probably a word processor file of some type.

nobbie 16:57 11 Aug 04

tried what you said but it wouldn't open up in word or notepad, (it tried but i think that the file is too big).
should explain that the file is on a cd which was purchased from a computer market with "norton everything 2005" shareware/trialware on it and the file is 650mb.

Valvegrid 17:57 11 Aug 04

I'm not if this is what's on that disk:

click here

If it is, I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Good luck.

nobbie 19:42 11 Aug 04

but i do not know what exactly is on the disc, as earlier stated "i cannot open the file"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…