Help opening dtp files please

Never again 15:49 26 Apr 06

I have some realy old documents on a floppy created on a desktop publishing programme which was discarded a number of years ago, along with the pc.

I would like to open them as I remember them being quite funny but I dont seem to have a brogramme to open them with.

They have .dtp and .bak extentions on them.

I currently have a laptop with ms office 2003 and desktop at home with an earlier version of office. both are running windows xp.

Has anyone got any suggestions.

Diodorus Siculus 15:53 26 Apr 06

DTP ( .DTP ) - File Extension Information
"DTP ( .DTP ) - File Extension Information

Extension: DTP ( . DTP )

DTP is the file extension for the Text Document associated with Timeworks Publisher 3.x. "
click here

Never hear of it myself...

.bak is generally a backup file - even way back in the days of DOS.

Diodorus Siculus 15:54 26 Apr 06

The top file extensions Windows site
" DTP = Datastorm Technologies, Inc. ProComm Program Patch
DTP = Page Express desktop publishing document
DTP = PageMagic - Publish-It! - Publisher3 : Publication
DTP = Pressworks : Template file
DTP = SecurDesk! Desktop
DTP = Text Document of Timeworks Publisher 3.x"
click here

Never again 16:00 26 Apr 06

The Timeworks publisher 3.x rings a bell.

What would open it nowdays though.

Diodorus Siculus 16:27 26 Apr 06

If they are just text, then any text editor should be able to open them - maybe not neat and tidy but at least you can read them.

stylehurst 16:56 26 Apr 06

File extension DTP was also associated with the sucessor to Timeworks which was called Pressworks. This last program would run under W95.
I do have a copy, also a copy of the earlier Timeworks 2 which ran under Dos or W3.1

pj123 17:50 26 Apr 06

I think I still have a floppy version of Timeworks somewhere. (many disks) Whether it will work on todays PCs though I wouldn't like to say. Can't promise but give me a couple of days and I will search through all the old floppies I have.

In the meantime you might like to read this, could help you.

"The Timeworks DTP package was actually written by a British company called GST Software for the US Timeworks Inc. It was first released for the Atari ST under the GEM operating system and could run on a single floppy machine though it did need the 1MB memory ST version. It helped to make the Atari a very popular machine for clubs, churches and other small organisations who wanted to produce magazines and brochure but could not afford to have these produced professionally. It was a frames based DTP package with paragraph styles and style sheets, and was therefore very similar in style to Ventura. However Timeworks DTP cost less than £100 (100 pounds) compared to Ventura at (I think) nearer a £1,000 and also requiring a more powerful machine.

Later Timeworks DTP was ported to the IBM PC, again under GEM, and could run on an XT though it did need a hard disk. GST went on to make their own version, called Pressworks, which was ported to Windows. The product became a highly regard entry level DTP package offering good functionality, avoidance of typographical expertise, and superb value at an even lower price of £50. It is still available to-day and is now a powerful DTP package alongside its twin drawing package called Designworks."

Never again 11:12 27 Apr 06

I have tried opening the file with notepad and word but to no avail.

The documents were a "fancy" list on a poster format of some of the silly things that we have said in the past to remind us that we make mistakes.

As stated above, I'm sure we were running windows 95 at the time, but it could have been windows 3.11, and it could have been pressworks as it was pretty fancy at the time.

I have a version of ms publisher on my desktop - do you think that this might work.

I have no real desk top publishing programme on my laptop.

Thanks again

pj123 15:57 27 Apr 06

Never again, your luck might be in. I have found Timeworks v1.0. Seven floppy disks.

Again I can't say whether they will work in modern computers but if you want them to try send me an email via the envelope with your postal address and I will post them to you.

Never again 21:07 27 Apr 06

Thanks pj123.

I'll keep everyone else updated in a few days or so.

pj123 13:12 28 Apr 06

Floppies on the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…