help, one pc conects via router ok, ie email, internet other pc only internet, ports blocked on it?

SANAP 18:17 PM 03 Nov 12

This has me foxed for some reason my second pc no longer allows me to send or receive emails but I can use chrome. ie8 etc to acess internet. In addition I can no longer run live update on NORTON SECURITY 2012, i get a " cannot access server" message, ie it assumes I cant access internet. All other items, laptop, apple tv, xbox, wii, work fine.

All I did was buy a new router in June of this year. When I run a port checker on 2nd pc eg port 80 it says time out. when i check a port like 11098 it says open.

Help?

sanap

SANAP 11:58 AM 04 Nov 12

OK for the benefit of others I resolved this issue myself. The problem was caused by the remnants of that Comodo firewall, free version. I now know that it is impossible to un-install it for an amateur. This could be construed as deliberate as a lot of the fixes suggest re-installing it to get the services that were lost back. Anyway what I had to do was enter the registry and delete every item that mentioned comodo. You can use find in registy as well to find bits. I also had to go to device manager, select show hidden devices and disabbled 2 entries for comodo drivers. I will delete these later. I got a lot of the information via google and the comodo forum.

The moral of the story be wary of installing freeware and take a lot of the reviews with a pinch of salt. And most of all ask google is it a nuisance.

sanap

thuba 03:19 AM 06 Nov 12
  SANAP 20:53 PM 08 Nov 12

IS THIS NOT SPAM

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…