Help on old computer!

GeeKay+Dee 12:16 31 May 07

Hi

My girlfriend has an old PC which won't boot up. This has happened quite suddenly and she can no longer get access to some pictures and files she needs.

The PC has Windows ME running at the moment, and the only message displayed is "Starting Windows Millenium". Nothing happens after this (even left it overnight to see if any change occured)!

This prompt appears after "Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0.....OK".

We we're going to update the operating system to XP, but can't manage this at the mo.

Unfortunately, the original discs have went AWOL during moving house, so don't have a CD Rom which it could boot from.

Anyone any ideas how we can rectify this?

Thanks in advance!

I am Spartacus 12:31 31 May 07

Put the hard drive in another computer as a slave and there's a chance the data may be recoverable.

birdface 13:25 31 May 07

Can you start it in safe mode and either run Last good configuration or system restore.

birdface 13:31 31 May 07

Or if any way into device manager.Probably driver needing up-dated.

GeeKay+Dee 16:37 31 May 07

How do I start it in safe mode?

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 31 May 07

How do I start it in safe mode?

Keep tapping F8 as you rebbot the PC, a menu should appear giving you several choices.

Try Last Known good Configuratin first
if no good then try safe mode.

Diemmess 17:43 31 May 07

A method which works very easily with 98SE and hopefully with ME as well is:-----

Like Fruit Bat /\0/\ recommends tap F8 repeatedly as the box boots up and if you can see -
Command Prompt Only, choose this.

Next type - scanreg /restore
Note the single space between scanreg and the /

You will have a choice of dates when the computer booted properly.

Choose one BEFORE this trouble started.

Follow the prompts and if you are lucky it will replace the existing register with a valid one and should behave itself again.

GeeKay+Dee 19:39 14 Jul 07

Finally got round to trying the above recommendations (thanks everyone), and I started in safe mode (only option out of the above), only to recieve the following -

the following file is missing or corrupted c:>\window\restore\vmm32.vxd
please type the following windows loader c:>\window\restore\vmm32.vxd

I'm now stumped!! Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 14 Jul 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…