help a numpty . cd writer installation

AndyPNE 12:35 17 Feb 04

Please help , I`m an amateur when it comes to the inside of the box , but thought that adding a cd writer to the system would be easy enough.....
i bought a lite on 24x10x40 off ebay and slapped it in ( no driver disk or anything ) have tried various jumper settings but the computer tells me that it is a cdrom drive and wont open any disk in it !. Im wondering whether ive been had or if im doing something wrong ?. Also whether cd writer should be on same or different ide cable from hard drive/ other cdrom drive. I have one ultraide cable and one standard... I think this is relevant but not sure how ?.... any advice would be helpful ta

Iwasaki 13:14 17 Feb 04

The drive is not relevant to where it is connected, but people do have a preference and this is to keep optical drives and hdd on separate ide, as in the past they have been known issues.

The drive is being recognised, firstly try downloading nero software to see if you can recognise the burner. When all is said and done, you should be able to read atleast a cdrom from the drive. If this persists seek refund!

AndyPNE 15:42 17 Feb 04

i`m beginning to think the drive is faulty ?, It will read a cdrom whilst standing on its side.??? but the cdwriting software i`ve tried (pretty old) doesnt recognise it as a supported writer ?

plsndrs3 15:57 17 Feb 04

It could be that the software is 'older' than the CD writer. For example, it can't recogonise a writer whose slowest speed is faster than was available when it was created and faster than it understands.

What OS are you using & what CDwriter? Also, on the PC Advisor coverdisk there is a 'complete' CD toolkit, which includes CD Maker Deluxe - which may possibly be more up to date than the software you have installed?

Can't understand why it reads the CD on its side though!

Paul

plsndrs3 16:01 17 Feb 04

If you are only inserting burnt on CDs, it may just be a CD player - what happens if you insrt a blank disk?

The reason for the OS is that Liteon usually have plug & play capacity, so drivers are not needed - but until you have the correct software installed, you cannot have a burner because the CD writer doesn't yet know how to burn, as it relies on software, such as Nero or Easy CD Creator/CD Maker deluxe.

AndyPNE 18:17 17 Feb 04

thanks... i have just managed to burn my fist cd (still at 90 degrees though !) using burn4free which i downloaded... I have a copy of nero5.5 arriving in the next few days and hoping that it will be easier to understand ! I am using windows me , i really want a burner that doesnt ask too many awkward questions.... whats the simplest one? thanx for the advice so far....

alan227 18:48 17 Feb 04

ASUS CDRW £31.00 including delievery and includes Nero 5.5.
Have fitted 4 of these and they work like a dream.
Nero is easy to use for a beginner.

alan227 18:49 17 Feb 04

click here.
Sorry I forgot to post the link for it.

plsndrs3 19:02 17 Feb 04

I use Nero 5 & never had any problems. Can't get used to the burner that comes with WinXP and have tried Easy CD. I guess it's horses for courses. There are a few freebie burning software programs available, but personally I find that the bells & whistles approach with full paid for programs is better.

You can check compatability and even download a demo version here

click here

if you want to trial it, or why not just buy the PC Advisor issue out at the moment [CD version £3.50] & have the full program CD Maker Delux & see how that goes? Or, if you have the hard disk space - do both & see which you prefer. Mind you, Nero is coming next week anyhow - although 5.5 is behind the free download page I've given you [that's for 6.0]!

HTH

Paul

dfghjkl 19:42 17 Feb 04

nero is great,best free one is real player,but some people are scared of real player,but if you have it,use it,it is easier than nero,and nero is idiot proof,good luck.peter.

Suzuki ITFC 20:05 17 Feb 04

B's recorder is easy to use. I got it with my Cdrewriter Drive (sony)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…