Help with NTL & Belkin F5D7231 Router

JonnoTractorBoy 22:36 26 Feb 06

Help Needed by networking novice.

Have just connected my laptop to NTL B'band wirelessly with a Belkin G Router (model F5D7231). It is fine for internet use, but when gaming, every couple of minutes I get a "Connection Error" message.
When using t'internet every now and then I get the message that i have just connected to my home network as if it has lost the connection and reconnected.

Signal strength is always "excellent", but connection speed intermittantl drops from 54MBps to 24MBps or lower.

Having read other threads, I've moved it away from any metal etc and have tried other channels.

I'd be grateful for any help as I keep getting shot on BF2!!

Danoh 12:41 27 Feb 06

Wireless devices tend to check with each other to stay connected but this is not a continous check, performed at intervals. In between these intervals, if no data traffic happens, I would expect the network connection to be "dropped" and need to be re-established when there is data traffic to be sent/received.

I don't indulge in gaming, but I understand the need for immediate response is shown in gamers preference for wired mice rather then wireless. I would thereby presume you would be better off with a wired Ethernet connection whilst gaming.

The only alternative is to have a small utility program which continuously pings your router to keep the connection alive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…