Help a novice upgrade

sparky230v 17:40 27 Oct 03

As a building construction project manager recently disabled in a motor vehicle accident, I am forced to re-train for desk based career. I have decided to go for AutoCad. Before I load on my student (very mature student at 46) version of AutoCad on to my PC I think it is in need of a bit of an upgrade. Here are a couple of lists containing 1/ current bits inside the PC and 2/ bits I am thinking of purchasing, having spent day?s searching the net for info. You will gather I am not much of a wiz when it comes to the guts of a PC. But it has become so vital to me now I am house bound.
Are new parts a good choice? I use the Internet a great deal, and as the area where I live is not broadband enabled, do you think the new selected Modem card will speed things up as the blurb say?s.
The PC is an etower 667 combi
1/ Current parts:- 64MB SyncDRAM 256MMB max, 15GB Hard Drive Ultra DMA, 3d AGP Graphics Intel Direct AGP, 56k Fax/Modem ITU.v90, Intel®Celeron?processor,
2/ New Parts:- WD Caviar 120GB Special Edition, Intel Pentium 4 2.6 512Kb S478 Box 800FSB (will I need a new mother board?), Crucial Technology 512MB 168Pin DIMM PC133 SDRAM Non-Parity (is non parity better than having parity ?), Creative ModemBlaster v.92 PCI Internal, GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR PCI RP 2xVGA.

A_World_Maker 18:10 27 Oct 03

Hi Sparky,
Judging by your shopping list, you will need the new motherboard indicated. As a penny piching excercise, you might see if your modem will upgrade to the V92 status, although unless your ISP supports this, it will be useless. In your position, I would choose my processor 1st and then match the other components to the supporting motherboard. No point in purchasing items that the motherboard doesn't support. If you intend to keep the System box, check the power output, rating and amount of outlets, of the power supply also that a new form motherboard will physically fit.
Keeping your installation lean and clean, will help autocad run. When I used dial-up, I used Tiscali and found it reliable. Hope that gives you a start.

Lozzy 18:13 27 Oct 03

The spec of the upgrades is impressive and good. However, I ask the question have you weighed up the cost and hassle factor between what the upgrades will cost against a new PC. I do think you will need a new motherboard because of altering to the P4 processor.

Djohn 18:32 27 Oct 03

Agree with Lozzy, I've just checked your motherboard model at crucial and they say your max. memory on this board is only 256MB. also you will require new board to use the CPU of your choice.

I'm not to sure with the specs. required for C.A.D work, but believe the graphics card is not the most important part of your requirements. Any good card with at least 64 MB of on board memory will be fine.

A fast CPU and as much ram memory as you can put into the system is more important, and a large hard drive, preferably two drives.

The modem again is not too important, as any decent 56k modem will give you a good connection to the net, and investing in a new modem will not increase your connection or download speed.

There are several members of the forum that are experienced in C.A.D work, they will be able to advise you to the best requirements and your best option to choose. Regards. j.

A_World_Maker 18:37 27 Oct 03

Just popped back to see how you are getting on. AutoCad is a vector based programme and relies heavily on the maths functions of your processor. I always advise people, when thinking about buying and or building a computer.... choose your software based on what you want to do on the computer, then buy a computer to run the software! Add a bit extra and you should be set for some years to come. PC's can be upgraded to a certain extent. Enjoy :-)

woodchip 18:44 27 Oct 03

Why not just buy a new System Tower,click here

Belatucadrus 19:25 27 Oct 03

If you haven't already purchased Student Auto cad, have a look at click here

normskiii 19:44 27 Oct 03

you shouldn't have any problems running LT2002 using your existing puter. i use Autocad on far lower spec pc win95 p266 etc.for years. the upgrade version will install on XP. autodesk help is very good for any advice. havn't tried the student version.

Belatucadrus 12:19 28 Oct 03

Sparky, ref your e-mail I've checked the link and it's working from my PC, so I can't offer any suggestions beyond type the following address into your address bar longhand, only taking out the gaps after http & //

http :// nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16/2

This should take you to the download page for a free copy of Turbocad Learning edition.

froggg 17:50 28 Oct 03

you dont want pc133 memory,use crucial ddr memory,
a good cheap mobo is asus p4s533,
you could save money by getting 2.0-533fsb p4,plenty fast enough.
any v92 modem is as good as creative's-and probably half the price!!
power supply needs to be at least 300watt!

plankton 13:53 29 Oct 03

For the money you have to spend, and the upgrades you want, I would also suggest you get a new setup. The other thing to consider when using CAD s/w is whether the monitor is good enough for details etc....

Froggg is correct when he says you dont want SDRAM memory, unless you're just upgrading your current spec (only 256Mb for that).

Hope you get what you want...or at least what you need.;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…