help a novice please

chaddyend 18:50 16 Jul 09

hi all..new to this so please dont shout at me...im trying to connect 2 computers to the internet..i have a belkin router on 1 computer and a dongle on the other...the one with the router seems to be working fine but the dongle pc wont connect to the internet even though it says the dongle is connected...what have i done wrong...please advise

Halmer 18:54 16 Jul 09

a wireless adaptor that you are trying to use to work off the router wirelessly?

Halmer 18:54 16 Jul 09

the dongle even...............

chaddyend 18:55 16 Jul 09

hi halmer.....yes it is

mooly 19:15 16 Jul 09

What operating system.. Vista ? XP?
The PC with the dongle. Can you "see" the router showing anywhere as a network to connect to.
Is the router security enabled (WEP/WPA etc) and needs to have a passkey that has to be entered.

chaddyend 19:16 16 Jul 09

they are both xp

chaddyend 19:22 16 Jul 09

i'm sorry i don't no wot u mean

mooly 19:40 16 Jul 09

This might help you,
click here

If I had an XP pc in front of lol be much easier.
Your PC has to be able to "see" available wireless networks to be able to connect to one.

mooly 19:43 16 Jul 09

Particularly read the last section "connect your computers...."

chaddyend 19:55 16 Jul 09

hi can u tell me were to get the network key from please

chub_tor 20:12 16 Jul 09

The network key is set into the router by the user. If you bought your router new then no network key will have been set. If you bought it used then it will have been set by the previous owner. Most routers will allow you to delete the old key and enter a new one. To help you further it would be good to know which Belkin router you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced