Help no sound for 2 months

azza16 11:02 28 Nov 05

I get error code COOD11BA - 'cannot play sound device'
This happens in media player 10 & all other apps.

In 'Sound & audio devices' under hardware devices it shows 'Soundblaster 16 or awe32 or compatable'. On the Audio tab under 'volume' it reads 'no audio device'. Under 'Sound playback' & 'sound recording' it reads 'Modem 0 Line Playback' & under 'MIDI music playback' it lists 'No MIDI playback devices' These are the default devices & there are no others in thedrop down boxes.

Running Belarc Advisor shows I have Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32 or compatible (WDM) & Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device installed under Multimedia.

I am running win xp home sp3
direct x 9

Is it true my soundcard could be part of my hard drive & not separate.

Have tried to update drivers for soundblaster but 2 no avail. ( not sure I'm doing it right).

Starting to lose my mind & girlfriend.

Need help (any)..

many thanks

SG Atlantis 11:05 28 Nov 05

I am running win xp home sp3?

there is no service pack 3.

Uninstall the sound device from device manager reboot and it'll reinstall it.

Gongoozler 11:15 28 Nov 05

azza16, you ask if the could be part of your hard drive. To avoid confusion, the big box is best referred to as your computer base unit. The hard drive is the bit inside that stores the programs and data, often the C: drive, but it could also include D:, E: and other drives. The motherboard in the computer, which is the big circuit board into which all the other bits connect, often has the sound card integrated into it. Have a look in the Belarc Advisor report sheet and you should find what you motherboard is, post the result here and we'll see if we can advise you further. Another way of telling if you sound card is integrated is to look at the back of your computer. If the sound connectors are grouped with the other port connectors, then the sound card is integrated. If they are on one of the little brackets (about 18 x 110 mm) then you have a separate sound card.

Can you tell us if your sound has ever worked, and if it did, what changes you made to you computer before it stopped working.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 28 Nov 05

Sound setup
click here

azza16 15:13 18 Jan 06

Thanks for all replies.
Sorry about typo, of course it's SP2.

Motherboard = ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S8X-X REV 1.xx
I believe the soundcard to be integrated from looking at the back.

Sound card used to work. From memory I'm not 100% sure what changes where made prior to the fault. Could have happened after reinstalling windows XP home.

Any help gratefully recieved with many thanks.

Gongoozler 16:43 18 Jan 06

Hi azza16. I think you will need to download the sound drivers from here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…