help! no post beep

LILYROY 12:15 28 Aug 05

i've assembled a pc which will not start. it came as a case/mobo/cpu/fan/memory fully assembled. i've added a hdd and 2 optical drives and a floppy drive. when i power up the fan spins and the power light is on and the hdd light flashes. on the screen the memory count is shown and the drives are detected. there is no post beep and when i press del to enter setup nothing happens. it is a good keyboard. i have tried clearing cmos by resetting the clear cmos jumper and tried swapping memory sticks with known good memory to no avail i just cannot get into cmos or any further than the screen which shows that the drives have been detected. can anyone help, please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:06 28 Aug 05

No post beep!

case speaker connected?

However if it gets to POST screen where drives are detected then motherboard cpu psu memory are ok.

Next it should access operating system from either CD floppy or HDD, depending on how set up in BIOS.

There will be an message to tell you which keys to press to enter "setup" something like del esc F10 etc.

If your HDD is from an old system has it got an op system installed?

If so then the drivers for the old boards will conflict with the new.

Either:

no op system then boot from CD or floppy and install windows

old op system boot from CD or floppy and format drive and install new op system.

DieSse 13:18 28 Aug 05

Try another keyboard

Check you've got the mouse and keyboard plugged in the right way round (!)

If it's a USB keyboard, try with a standard keyboard.

LILYROY 13:21 28 Aug 05

there is the screen which says "press del to enter setup" but when i press del the screen just goes blank. nothing happens. i cannot enter setup. it is a brand new hdd. any other ideas?

DieSse 13:26 28 Aug 05

Some motherboard manufacturers recommend the you push in the CMOS chip before using a new motherboard. If you can identify it, you can try that too.

LILYROY 18:02 28 Aug 05

tried a different monitor and the cmos setup screen magically appears!!! still no post beep tho' - and the speaker IS connected!

woodchip 19:14 28 Aug 05

I have a XP computer that does not give a \Post never as done from new

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…