Help! New user!!!!!!

davidrwebster 14:57 28 Dec 10

I am new to this (so require clear language!!).

On my new computer I had installed AVG2011 and Malware. It was fine and very fast. Then I downloaded Virgin Media security and it is now very slow!

It keeps telling me - "Your computer needs to be restarted in order to finish the updating process (AVG cannot update impotant services whilst the system is using them." I have restarted but the same message keeps appearing.

Have I done something stupid?? If so, how do I put it right?

birdface 15:01 28 Dec 10

You cant have 2 anti-virus programs running.You will have to remove AVG or media Security.

birdface 15:07 28 Dec 10

Virgin media security I should have said.
AVG2011 anti Malware,
What anti-malware program did you download.

isca2 15:24 28 Dec 10

More than one malware program is usually OK but as buteman says, only have one Anti Virus installed. I would suggest you uninstall the Virgin if all was OK before you installed it.

rawprawn 17:21 28 Dec 10

I agree with iscanut, you should uninstall Virgin.
However although it hasn't been mentioned, if by any chance you also have Real Time Protection from both MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware installed and running, these create conflicts on my computer, and I can only have real time from one or the other at any one time.
If you don't have these please disregard my comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…