help with a new PAYG BT internet connection ?

Magik ®© 19:04 18 Nov 04

hi, my grandaughter wants to go on the net, her PC is win95, she can connect using the number 0845756000, but of course it asks for her primary email address, which she does not have, how does she get round that, a sort of start at the begining....they sent her a cd but it is not for win95...she is miles away so we are trying to do it over the phone....

thanks

Jackcoms 20:51 18 Nov 04

Magik ®©

"they sent her a cd but it is not for win95".

I assume that 'they' are your granddaughter's ISP to whom she is paying a fee in return for a service. They clearly haven't provided a proper service. It seems to me that her first port of call should be to the ISP.

N.B: Win95 did go out with the Ark. It may be worthwhile investing in a rather more up-to-date OS ;-)

Microsoft stopped supporting Win95 some years ago and, thus, ISPs may not support Win95 systems.

Magik ®© 21:15 18 Nov 04

hi,the question of an update from win95, is out :-( the PC has been on the internet before, she has not paid anything yet, she needs to get on line first, she can not get to the bit that asks her for a logon name and password...it will now connect, but thats it...

woodchip 21:29 18 Nov 04

When she loads the CD Win95 as no baring on the CD. She as to input a User Name to create a Profile and a Password that will get her connected and let her download E-Mails etc it's just follow the on-screen prompts of the CD.

PS she needs to write down all the info above so she can reuse in the event of any problems

VoG II 21:33 18 Nov 04

"it asks for her primary email address" - presumably she needs to think one up if she is registering with this ISP for the first time.

Magik ®© 21:45 18 Nov 04

and that is it, when she types anything in for the logon bit, it of course says it can not find it, the reason being she has not been on line.

she will be in bed by now, so we will have to carry on tomorrow......so in a nutshell, how do we get the page up which asks you to choose a name?

thanks all...........

woodchip 21:52 18 Nov 04

Normally the computer reboots and connects to the Internet. if it does not then just double click the IE icon to reset the software working. She will have to leave the CD in until it's done. The reason for the Reboot is it will load Probably IE6

Dan the Confused 22:25 18 Nov 04

If she just wants a PAYG service to get onto the internet, there are lots of them. Does it have to be with BT? I sometimes use UKU click here

Jackcoms 22:26 18 Nov 04

We're going round in circles now. I can only repeat what I originally said/suggested.

"It seems to me that her first port of call should be to the ISP."

This is basic stuff which should have been provided in detail by your granddaughter's ISP. ASK THEM

Magik ®© 22:29 18 Nov 04

she/we made a new dial up connection earlier to-day, which connected to the internet, then the login box comes up,which of course we can not use. we need the bit where we can register...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…