help for a new install of xp

brett1500 19:54 28 Jul 06

hi folks ive decided to wipe and reinstall xp however after ive put the oem recovery disc in and selected new installation i receive the message "iaSTOR.sys could not be found". Ive also found that i cant format my hard drive using the disc which i thought would be straight forward but obviously isnt ive done it on win 98 loads of times but cant find anyway to do it on xp im sure you guys have solved this 1000 times but could i bother your expertise once more? thanks very much to all in advance its very much appreciated

alan2273 20:12 28 Jul 06

If you have as you say a recovery disk,then your OS installation is on a hidden partition on your hard drive.
All that the recovery disk will do is set you XP back to the factory settings as it was when you first received it. And I believe in doing this it will wipe out all your programs.

I may be wrong so do not shoot me down in flames.

brett1500 20:22 28 Jul 06

thats ok alan 2273 thats what i want, a total wipe and reinstallation if it would let me, youre not going down in flames yet! i also forgot to say i cant upgrade because i get the message cant find file "d:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll" whatver that means

alan2273 20:32 28 Jul 06

The iaStor.sys
file is to do with raid drivers and the other problem file winntupg here is Microsofts answer to it.
click here;EN-US;Q315349

alan2273 20:35 28 Jul 06

Forgot to say when you click on the link and the page comes up copy and paste EN-US;Q315349 on to the end of the URL in the address bar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5