Help! New external drive formatting

Sara K 10:42 23 Jan 09

I just bought a Buffalo Drivestation 1TB external drive.

Following the installation menu, the instructions advosed that NTFS format would be best for Vista, so I tried this but the menu option didn't work. I stupidly tried then to format to NTFS myself by right clicking on the drive then tried to cancel this when it was clear it was going to take hours.

Oops!

Now I can't access the drive and I get the message that I don't have sufficient rights when I try to reformat.

Please help!

scotty 10:57 23 Jan 09

I have come to the conclusion that windows (and vista in particular) in not a good tool for formatting or partitioning drives. I like to use a tool provided with Linux called GParted. You do not have to install Linux to use this tool. Linix is available as a "live CD" which means you can run it directly from the CD without installing anything on your harddrive.

I don't know how comfortable you feel with trying this. Perhaps you would prefer to wait for other suggestions for doing this within Windows? If you want more detailed instructions for the GParted option I will provide what help I can. (Another advantage of GParted is that formatting is quick)

Pamy 11:01 23 Jan 09

do not know how to get your access back to the drive but when you do there should also be a Quick Formatt option available.

Sara K 11:07 23 Jan 09

I managed to get back in and then did the quick format. Everything seems to be OK except I don't have the little icon I had for the drive.

Is it OK for me to start using this now, or should I go for the longer format first?

Many thanks for your help.

Pamy 11:09 23 Jan 09

You can use it now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…