Help with new computer

Hyperdoo 23:23 23 Jul 03

HAving receivng all the parts to my new computer today, i proceeded to install them all. I have a abit nf7-s motherbaord, with an athlon 2600 processor, and 512mb of ddr 3200 ram and the hard drive. I have connected a floppy disc to the motherboard and when i boot up, i can enter the bios and mess about in there but when it comes to boot from the floppy, all there is is a black screen with a flashing cursor. The floppy disc sounds like its booting and when u press dos commands, eg dir, it sounds like this is working but i cannot see anythink but the black screen. Does anyone have any ideas? THanks

dazzling (work) 23:35 23 Jul 03

some info please what floppy are you trying to boot from? have you set the bios to boot from floppy? do you know the said floppy to be a good copy?.darren

Hyperdoo 23:42 23 Jul 03

i cant really give you much information on the floppy drive since i took it out of an older computer. HOwever, it was working in that one and the floppy disc also boots up in a different computer. Even so, you would think there would be some sort of error message appearing.

dazzling (work) 23:48 23 Jul 03

all i can say is the usual make sure connections are good check cable try different floppy.if all these are ok it maybe a problem with the motherboard.its all trial and error sorry cant be much help.darren.

User-312386 00:17 25 Jul 03

you cant boot from 1 floppy in XP

pop the XP disc in and use the recovery console

Gaz 25 00:23 25 Jul 03

Does POST screen load?

Jean-Luc Picard 01:35 25 Jul 03

Why do you want to boot from a floppy on a system you have just built?

Hyperdoo 08:31 25 Jul 03

jean, because i cant boot from cd either. I thought floppy would be the less complicated option. Gaz, yes the post screen does load and i think i have resolved the problem using the abit forum. Its a case of the board not seemingly being compatable with pci graphics card and so im off to buy a agp card.

Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…