help with new build that won't boot...

SpyMan {:o)){--< 15:07 25 Mar 05

I have just spent the last few hours putting my new PC together...but it won't boot.

Everything seems to be in the right place....the fans turn and i can hear the hdd boot too...i don't get any series of beeps which i would expect if i had done something wrong...the monitor just doesn't switch on.

so far...

i have swapped monitors to see if it works...neither monitors switch on..

i have unplugged everything except for mobo and gfx card but still nothing.

Am i missing somthing? Its a PCI-express gfx card which i have never fit before but accordeing to the manual...all it needs is one lead into it from the power supply.

Please help

Graham

pj123 15:23 25 Mar 05

Check the memory

Yoda Knight 15:42 25 Mar 05

try a normal agp card (if u can). if it works then u know where the problem lies....

Fingees 15:56 25 Mar 05

With the computer switched off, clear the CMOS by means of link.
Alternatively you can remove battery and leave it out for ten minutes.

When battery is replaced, enter BIOS and make sure settings are correct for CPU.
If you don't enter it correctly, computer will refuse to start completely. That means no post checks, No beeps, and no BIOS

josie mayhem 15:58 25 Mar 05

Check your psu, this can also give similar symptons.

I had similar problems with my last build, was about to takeout the motherboard ect, but decided to connect my old powersupply, and it all kicked into action. My new psu was dud.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 16:10 25 Mar 05

checked my psu but nothing....BUT...you have to use a PCI-express compliant psu with PCI-express cards and my other psu isn't.

Can't use an AGP card as imy mobo doesn't have an agp socket.

Checked the memory...made sure it was seated properly anyway

Rayuk 16:30 25 Mar 05

Have you tried removing it from the case see if it will boot,maybe motherboard shorting on the case/mounts.

alan227 17:01 25 Mar 05

Can you get hold of an old pci graphics card, I know they are a bit long in the tooth but it could find whether it is your new graphics card.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 17:03 25 Mar 05

to be honest i think it is more gfx card related...everything powers up ok...just no beep...and monitor doesn't kick in

amips 17:10 25 Mar 05

No POST beep at all? Swap the memory for another piece and/or try moving it to another slot.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 21:07 25 Mar 05

amips and pj123 were right....the problem related to the RAM. But it were the sockets that didn't work properly...i moved one of the sticks to the other sockets and it booted. Is it a fault with the motherboard that the first socket A1 and A2 aren't working or do i have to fill the B sockets up first.

Its working now...but should i return it to 'overclockers' as faulty?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…