Help with networking

geewis357 15:37 26 Dec 04

Merry Xmas
If anyone could help I would be extremly greatfull. I took delivery of an Acer laptop a few days ago and I have conected to my desktop PC, I can share data laptop but have no access from desktop. I have no probs using the Bband conection on either pc, ran wizards on both pc's.

laptop XP prof
desktop XP Home

spikeychris 16:22 26 Dec 04

No access from desktop, do you get an error message such as "\\ComputerName is not
accessible"? Have you shared a dive of folder?

geewis357 16:30 26 Dec 04

I have made all drives shared but geting the message not authorised see admin

Irishman 16:38 26 Dec 04

You may need the same admin password on both computers.

geewis357 16:39 26 Dec 04

no passwords have been set

geewis357 16:46 26 Dec 04

I don't know if it makes a difrence but I have justb descovered that desktop uses NTFS and new laptop uses FAT32 does that have owt to do with it

spikeychris 17:45 26 Dec 04

Is Simple File Sharing enabled on the Pro machine?

geewis357 17:49 26 Dec 04

file and printer sharing on both pc's

spikeychris 17:57 26 Dec 04

I don't mean file and printer, I mean simply file sharing. Open Explorer and under under tools/folder options/view is simple file sharing enabled? If it is turn it off, before you do, turn off all shared drives. Once you have done so create an account on both machines then untick simple file sharing. Reapply all shares and then check your network places - when asked for the user-name type it.

geewis357 18:06 26 Dec 04

There is no simple file sharing option to be seen

spikeychris 18:44 26 Dec 04

Ok first thing is to go to Control
Panel - Administrative Tools – Services and Verify that the Computer
Browser service is running. If its not, start it. Before we go any further, you say that there is no simple file sharing on the Pro machine, have you looked in the right place? Windows key + E then tools – folder options – view, is SFS not listed at the bottom on the screen?

The other option is activate the guest account, we will do that next.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…