Help for Netgear DG834G & Wanadoo Broadband

KSG2006 16:19 11 Mar 06

Right, complete novice here so any help would be appreciated. If you could explain as simply as possible first steps I should take. The instructions say we need ADSL configeration information from ISP. What is this ? Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

ade.h 16:55 11 Mar 06

The router will require various bits of info and this will vary. Obviously, the minimum is your ADSL service's username and password, but you will also need to know the connection protocol at the very least. This is usally PPP over ATM (PPPoA). Others that you may or may not need include the recommended MTU figure (usually around 1400), the VCI figure and the VPI figure.

It is not essential for you to know the significance of thses figures and terms, and it would take too long to explain them here. They are technical terms and so are difficult to explain simply; but one call or email to Wanadoo should furnish you with all these if you do not already have a record of them from the time of your signup to its service.

I cannot comment on how many of these settings will be inputted manually into a Netgear and which ones will be auto-assigned. A Belkin, for example, simply requires the first three and the other three are optionally adjustable only if needed.

pifko 23:05 11 Mar 06

I have Wanadoo BB and that very router. It was easy as pie to set up...(why pie? meh)

All you need is your username and password that you use when connecting to the internet using your existing modem (I assume it's a speedtouch as that's what I was given)

I know the manual, like all may be a bit confusing to novices, but really, all you need to know is thse 2 details mentioned and the username and password to gain access to the router so you can configure it (these details are in the manual).

I only had ONE problem when setting up this router...and it wasnt anything to do with the router...To cut a boring story shorter, it was my desktop PC and its awful nework interface card it was supplied with! heh.

terryf 23:52 11 Mar 06

The Netgear DG834G by default assumes that your PC has a standard network card installed and it is configured to obtain the TCP/IP settings automatically. .
Login to the Netgear DG834G by opening up your Web Browser and typeing in the following default address - click here You will be prompted to login to the Netgear DG834G, by default the username is "admin" and password of "password".
Setup Wizard: Once you have logged into the Netgear DG834G, you will be faced with the Setup Wizard. By default the “Country” is set to UK and the “Language” is set to English.
The Setup Wizard gives you 2 methods of setting up the connection type on the Netgear DG834G to access the internet. This guide will take you through the automatic detection of the connection type.
Ensure the “Yes” option selected under Auto-Detect Connection Type and click on the Next button.
The Setup Wizard will then take a few minutes to try and detect the type of ADSL connection you have and should detect your connection.
You will then be prompted to enter in your Login and Password and you can find this information in your Welcome Pack as “Connection Username” and “Connection Password”
Once you have entered the information into both fields, click on the Apply button.

KSG2006 12:01 12 Mar 06

Thanks, going to try and get this up and running this afternoon. For my wireless laptop (which I haven't used yet) will it pick up the connection automatically or do I have to do something else ?

pifko 13:05 12 Mar 06

Mine picked up the connection automatically. Openned firefox and browsed the net at speed.

I'd recommend some sort of encryption if you live in a crowded neighbourhood.

KSG2006 14:46 12 Mar 06

Having problems getting started ! When I click on the settings button on the set up cd it opens the dial up connection box ??? What do you mean by encryption.

terryf 16:57 12 Mar 06

First have you got the dg834 connected to your telephone socket filter and to your computer network card? I can't remember what docs I got but look for connect.pdf on the CD that came with the router. This will explain the basic wiring up in Figure 3.5, then go to page 3-8 and log in as it says. Follow the instructions and the only things that you need to input are your login user name and password that should have been in the welcome letter that you got from your ISP. If necessary ring or email ISP to confirm this but it (hopefully) is obvious. Let us know how you get on

KSG2006 19:37 12 Mar 06

That's it working now ! It was easy after all and easy for me has to be SIMPLE. Thanks for the help.

pifko 22:40 12 Mar 06

Glad you got it working.

By encryption, I mean some sort of security so that your neighbours cant connect toyour network and use your bandwidth to surf the net or gain access to your computer files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now