Help Needed...update has stopped Laptop working!!!

julius44 07:30 02 Sep 10

Hello everyone, and good morning to u all, I'm hoping that a solution can be found for this urgent issue here please!!!!

My friend rang me yesterday with the problem with her sisters laptop. Okay her sister has a Compag laptop running windows vista, i think its a 32 bit system. She says that her tired to update the laptop a few days ago....and after this it said that it needed to shut down to update....then it would say something like updating 1 of 3...and the percentage would start from 0%...BUT it would just hang and nothing would happen. She'd then switch it off, and but then she CANNOT get back into the windows start up screen.....it ALWAYS seems to go back to the update screen, and just hangs....they've tried last known config that worked in f8 menu...still no joy. Her sister has loads of important docs on the laptop(she's a student) so restore to factory settings is NOT an option.....any suggestions pls?? She just needs windows to load again and get into the start up menu. Help pls!!!!!

accordion 07:46 02 Sep 10

Have a read of the answers here:

click here

Especially the last one.

Dave

accordion 07:47 02 Sep 10

Be prepared to wait a long time (few hours) for it to sort itself out.

Dave

birdface 08:08 02 Sep 10

Try safe mode again and switch off Windows automatic updates.
Or do a system restore to a time before she ran the updates.
Then if she wants to update again do it manually and only run one update at a time.
If she finds the update that is causing the problem click on it a box will open underneath just tick the box do not show this update again.

julius44 09:55 02 Sep 10

Hi all, thanks for suggestions.. they've gone into F8 menu, and tried safe mode, safe mode with networking, and last known good config that worked..........STILL the windows update screen appears and it continues hang!!!!! Any other ideas pls???

birdface 10:07 02 Sep 10

System restore to a date before she downloaded the updates.
But you would then need to switch off automatic updates or the next time the computer starts it will try and download the updates again.

julius44 10:15 02 Sep 10

System restore would have been fine Buteman, but she CANNOT get to the windows start up screen anyway. The only thing that keeps showing on her laptop is screen where it keeps telling her that its updating....it starts from 0% and just stays there.....hence she's unable to go any further....and hence she cannot get to system restore anyway. Any other ideas please??

birdface 11:10 02 Sep 10

Sorry misread it when you said you got into safe mode with networking I presumed that it was operational and you could get into all programs.

birdface 11:13 02 Sep 10

This might help.

click here

accordion 11:33 02 Sep 10

You haven't left it for a few hours to see if the updates are dealt with after starting in safe mode, have you?

It will probably take some time. It is possible that the problem won't go away anyway, but you have to try. Read through the link I first posted and then try again. Leave the computer on till the end of today!

Dave

julius44 18:02 02 Sep 10

Thanks Buteman, but the link u sent me mentions how to get into the safe mode with windows Xp, my friend has Vista......or is it the same way??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017