Help needed..Dislpay fault..

skell 19:16 01 Feb 05

Please help!

I was playing a game when it crashed, and rebooted the PC. When I restarted, there were vertical lines across the screen and windows didn't start up correctly.

I'm now stuck in 16 color mode, and can't seem to use anything other than one of the standard sets of video drivers without the PC crashing. (You know, standard pci vga, standard vga, super vga, that kind of thing.) No mattter which driver I'm using, though, I can't get out of 16 colors and can go no higher than 800x600 resolution. (Super VGA drivers are theoretically supposed to allow 256 colors, but when I try to change to 256 colors windows crashes on restarting.)

Can anybody recommend some steps I can take to try to fix this problem?

Some system specs:

HP Pavilion XL776 PC

Windows 98SE
128 MB ram
Nvidia Vanta graphics card
AMD Athlon 850 MHz processor

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 01 Feb 05

Download and install latest NVidia drivers

Totally-braindead 20:24 01 Feb 05

Fruit Bats right it sounds like something in the driver has been corrupted, installing the latest driver should cure this.

skell 18:48 04 Feb 05

Didn't help. After running the installation program, windows won't restart. I get all the way to where the windows desktop is supposed to appear (you know, where the win98 logon screen is supposed to come up), and the computer freezes and shows just a blank screen or a blank screen with some weird kind of red cursor with three dots in it at the top left corner of the screen. After doing a hard reboot after that, it gets all the way to where windows can start up, but the background looks like it's in safe mode (though it isn't). Then it shows the windows "updating system settings" window, but when the progress bar gets close to the end I get a "problem with your adapter settings" error message or something, and it won't let me out of 16 colors. I'm back using windows standard Super VGA drivers right now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…