Help needed!! Virus removed but no internet now!!!

julius44 18:54 28 Oct 10

Hello and good evening to everyone. I'm hoping that I can get some help here pls. A work colleague rang me yesterday to tell me that her partners laptop had a virus, its a brand new Sony Vaio laptop with windos 7 installed, she said there were opo ups that kept coming up, to say that the laptop was infected. She has also has a desktop at home, and I gave her instructions on how to install the kaspersky virus removal tool onto a usb pen drive, she also has a desktop at home, so i told her how to isntall it on the infected laptop. She did this at it seemed to solve the problem fine, as it scanned and removed all the nasty stuff.
at work today she now said that the only problem is that she CANNOT seem to get ANY internet access on the laptop, with or without the wireless connection, but she def has internet access as her desktop is working perfectly...so i'm not sure what to advice her to do now, as i'm just giving her the advice over the fone...any suggestions please???

1. get her to join this forum.
2. if the virus was very infectious then I always reinstall. It's the only was to make sure it's gone and one has the added benefit of the OS running at optimum pace!
3. Which virus was it?
4. you need to use 3 maybe 4 virus removal tools as they will always find ones the others don't.
5. try booting into safe mode (F8) with internet and the open the browser.
6. uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Sea Urchin 19:51 28 Oct 10

Unfortunately Kaspersky won't completely get rid of these rogue anti-virus programs - they become very deeply ingrained.

Ask her to to download Malwarebytes (Free version) - update and run it, and remove everything it finds.

click here

Depending on which rogue it was you may need to do other things - such as stopping the process before running Malwarebytes - and the virus will tend to attack Malwarebytes and render it useless. So try and find the name of the rogue.

jimv7 20:04 28 Oct 10

Open internet explorer, Tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/make sure there is a tick in 'automatically detect settings' and 'NO' tick in the 'proxy server box'

PalaeoBill 20:29 28 Oct 10

One of the common things that viruses do, that can cause a loss of internet, is to change the TCP/IP DNS address.

click here

Make sure 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' is checked and the virus has not attempted to divert you.

julius44 20:33 28 Oct 10

many thanks to u all, ive sent her a txt, and once she has gotten back to me, i'll email whatever happens with all your suggestions

Ashrich 22:38 28 Oct 10

You could try getting your colleague to reset the Winsock , this often gets broken when viruses and nasties are removed .

Open a command prompt with administrator privileges , ( right click , run as administrator ) then in the box that opens ( black with white writing ) type in without the quotations marks

" netsh winsock reset catalog " then press enter , Windows will tell you it needs to reboot , so type in " exit " press enter , then " exit " again , press enter again , then reboot the laptop , and try accessing the internet when restarted .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac